Tuner | Film Review

 

A piano tuner's (Leo Woodall) life is turned upside down when he discovers a talent for cracking safes.

I hadn't heard much about this film when it first came out, and I couldn't work out what the film was actually about from the premise, so it wasn't one that I was particularly excited about.

So I was surprised that I ended up really liking the movie!

You're invested from the very start. You get to know the characters quickly, you care about them almost right away, and you feel a connection with them that makes it easy to follow their journeys.

I loved the relationship between the characters played by Woodall and Dustin Hoffman. It's a unique friendship that really grounds the movie.

But all of the characters have great relationships and it's really lovely to see them develop as the story continues.

It's really engaging, and also a lot sweeter than I expected.

But it's also really entertaining. There are some deeper ideas and sadder scenes here, but the primary intent of the film seems to be entertainment and it certainly fulfils that purpose.

A lot of the film is about sound, and from this, I loved how big of a focus music was. I actually wished the film had leaned into this a bit more, but what we got was great, especially the piano scenes.

The writing was great, particularly around Woodall's character, who was a really easy character to follow and root for.

I would have liked a more satisfying ending, but I appreciate the effort to tie everything up and it did work.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this movie. It's not what I expected in a great way and it'll definitely take you by surprise.

7.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Louise Pentland Inspires Me

My 400th Post!

My Top 10 Favourite YouTubers | Part 3

An Interview With Abi!

The Odyssey | Film Review