Disclosure Day | Film Review
Two unrelated people are forced to work together to expose government secrets.
I heard really mixed things about this film before seeing it - from it's the best film of the year to it's so bad it's not worth watching, so I was looking forward to seeing it.
I too had mixed feelings about it. I actually liked it, but there were definitely huge flaws, so I can understand why a lot of people don't.
From the start, it throws you into the situation with no context, in a way that's jarring and makes it difficult to build a connection with the characters. It's not always necessary to connect with the characters but I feel like that connection really would have helped the film.
The cast is great, and for the most part the actors do a great job with their characters.
That being said, some of the characters had more interesting stories than others. I found I was more interested in the character played by Emily Blunt than anyone else. But when you're interested in the story, it really holds your attention, which is great.
But despite that, we never really got to know who these people were. Not all of them get development and even with the ones that do, the development isn't enough.
There are some really unique ideas here that are fun to play with. The film is best when it's exciting, when the characters have to escape from someone. Blunt and Josh O'Connor's characters are great together. I wanted to see more of them and less of almost everyone else.
The film feels all-over-the-place, jumping from scene to scene in an unnatural way.
It loses its way near the end, and it became harder and harder to tell what the film was actually trying to say or explore. Part of this was also because the runtime was too long. Everything was stretched out unnecessarily and by the end you're bored and just waiting for it to end.
Overall, there are definitely more flaws than good things here. I did enjoy watching the film but I can see why others wouldn't.
6/10


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment xx