Forbidden Fruits | Film Review
When a newcomer joins their cult, Apple (Lili Reinhart), Fig (Alexandra Shipp) and Cherry (Victoria Pedretti) soon find their inner darkness exposed.
I didn't know much about this film before it came out, but it starred a group of great, recognisable actresses so I was excited to see what they would do with it.
I liked this more than I thought I would!
I've already mentioned the cast, and they're absolutely the best thing about the movie. All of the actresses do such a great job with their characters and really elevate the material.
The film knows what it is and really leans into being campy, which is so much fun.
The characters are absurd, and because of that, a lot of the dialogue hits the ear wrong and generally the whole thing feels somewhat badly written. But this is probably just down to the story itself and the character creation rather than the actual writing.
It was really hard to tell where the story was going, but it's interesting and engaging enough that it keeps your attention even when it gets crazy.
It's also hard to work out the tone, but eventually it starts feeling like a dark version of Mean Girls, which I loved.
It's better when it leans into the chaos and drama, but there are also some great comedic moments that really work well.
Ultimately it works because the actors all really lean in and commit to these ideas. Even if you need to suspend your disbelief, it's so fun watching the progression of these characters.
The ending was great, particularly because of the turn of events leading up to it.
Overall, this film was great. It won't be for everyone but I had a really fun time with it!
7/10


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment xx