Longlegs | Film Review

 

When FBI agent Lee Harker (Maika Monroe) takes on the unsolved case of hunting down a serial killer, she discovers a personal connection between the mysterious killer and her own past.

The premise of this movie didn't particularly entice me, but what made me excited to see it was hearing all of the positive reviews.

So I feel like my opinion is really controversial in that, I was really really disappointed with this film.

For a start, I never cared about any of the characters. And because the film is so character-driven, I was never truly invested in the story.

One reason I didn't really care about the characters is that I never connected with any of them. Because of this, I didn't really care what happened to them and ended up finding the events of the film (particularly in the first half) a bit boring.

But that being said, the acting was great, and definitely the best thing about the film. Maika Monroe and Nicolas Cage, in particular, were great, but the whole cast played their roles really well.

And because the acting was great, it hid some of the weaker moments in the writing. The script didn't always feel as tight or strong as it could have been.

The ending tried to tie all the loose ends together and make everything make sense, but by the time that happened I was already in a space of not really caring what happened, so it wasn't as effective for me as it could have been.

Overall, this one wasn't really for me. I appreciate the originality of the story, but I didn't really connect with the way it was executed.

3/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Mouse Trap | Film Review

Apocalypse Now | 100 Movies Bucket List

Raiders of the Lost Ark | 100 Movies Bucket List

Mary and Max | 100 Movies Bucket List

Speak No Evil | Film Review