Hit Man | Film Review

 

A man posing as a contract killer (Glen Powell) breaks protocol when he finds himself falling for a client (Adria Arjona).

I'll admit, this film wasn't on my radar at all until I started seeing positive reviews. I knew it was a new Netflix film, but had no interest in watching it. But as I kept seeing the reviews, I thought I definitely needed to see it.

But unfortunately, I don't really get the overwhelming reviews because I didn't like the film that much!

The concept is interesting, and while the idea of someone falling in love with the wrong person isn't the most original premise, the character being a hitman (or posing as one) definitely makes it more original!

By the time I was 30 minutes in, I didn't really care about these characters or their story. I was never enticed.

I think the thing that threw me off was that I had initially assumed the film was a comedy. And as much as there are funny moments, it definitely has a more serious tone that I wasn't expecting.

The actors had great chemistry and are really what make the film interesting. They play off each other really well.

But even with that, I only really started enjoying the film in the last 30 minutes. And that was an enjoyable 30 minutes, but it didn't take back everything I hadn't connected with.

One thing I didn't really understand was why the main character wasn't an actual hitman. I feel like that would have been more compelling and would have made the stakes so much higher! By making him something else, yes it added drama to the relationship dynamic, but it removed any real thrills or fears.

Overall, I think this film was just fine. Somewhat entertaining, but nothing special. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it either.

5.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

A Quiet Place: Day One | Film Review

A Family Affair | Film Review

Citizen Kane | 100 Movies Bucket List

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial | 100 Movie Bucket List

Girl Talk: Affordable Back-To-School Outfits