T.I.M | Film Review

This is a movie that I saw on Netflix and watched pretty much on a whim. I didn't know much about it, but as I have watched a few 'evil AI' movies recently, it felt familiar enough to be comfortable while also being interesting. Plus it stars Georgina Campbell, who I loved in Barbarian and her other projects, so again it felt familiar.

When a robotics engineer (Georgina Campbell) is given a human-like AI servant (Eamon Farren), she and her husband (Mark Rowley) discover that T.I.M. is not as artificial as he seems.

I actually liked this film, which surprised me, particularly after reading reviews! It wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but I could see where the filmmakers were going with it and it definitely kept me entertained.

For a start, I really like T.I.M. - as a 'character' and as a piece of equipment. Where a lot of these AI movies are focused on a voice, it was interesting to see the AI be an actual human-like person. It allows us to see the AI as an actual antagonist.

Not only was the film engaging, but it was also really intriguing. I found that, because the husband and wife were interesting characters on their own, I was really interested in their past as well as their future with T.I.M. Even when there's not much happening, because I liked the characters, I was never bored watching them.

All of the actors did a great job, particularly Eamon Farren who played T.I.M.

There are definitely parts of the film that are comedic without meaning to be, which undermines the horror of the situation at times. I actually think it would have been fun to see the film take a bit more of a comedic slant, as the horror element wasn't always scary enough to make the film feel like a true horror.

The quality of the film definitely declined as it went on. It was still entertaining, but it didn't maintain its strong start.

Overall, I enjoyed this film and will probably watch it again, but I can definitely see why it isn't universally liked!

6.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Imaginary | Film Review