Greatest Days | Film Review

I love a musical, so this film had been on my radar for a while. And although I'm not Take That's number one fan, I'm familiar enough with their music that I was really looking forward to seeing this.

A group of childhood best friends reunite when one wins tickets to the reunion tour of their favourite childhood boyband.

This film was okay. I didn't hate it, but I spent a good portion of the film not really liking it either.

For a start, the first thing I found confusing was that the band that the film is about isn't Take That. They use Take That's music, but the band is completely fictional. And I think that threw me for a loop because I expected Take That to be featured in the film - so it took a bit of time to get used to.

While at times I didn't feel completely interested in the younger lives of the characters, by the end of the film I was really glad that so much of them was shown. You don't really know how important it is until the film ends.

Having said that, outside of the music the story itself was a bit boring. There were a couple of really interesting storylines that were engaging towards the end of the film, but other than that I didn't really care about the characters.

The dance numbers that accompany every song are too much and felt out of place, especially because some of them lasted way too long.

The friends didn't have the greatest chemistry, even in the areas where we see their younger versions.

While there were some great emotional sequences (the 'Back For Good' scene in particular was beautiful), the emotional part of the story really wasn't developed enough.

The ending was the best part of the film by a clear mile.

Overall I was a bit disappointed by this film. It wasn't what I wanted it to be, and it definitely wasn't as emotional, or as fun, as it needed to be. That said, if you're a fan of Take That, or just musicals in general, then you might enjoy this one!

4.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List