Book Review #114: The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

It took me a long time to get into this story, and a really long time to actually read it, but I finally finished it!

Avery Grambs' life completely changes when she is left an enormous fortune by a billionaire she has never met. But to receive her inheritance from Tobias Hawthorne, she has to move into Hawthorne House and live for a year with the family that has just been disinherited - including Tobias's four mysterious grandsons, hellbent on discovering who Avery is, and how she stole their inheritance.

This was an okay read. Maybe if I read it over a quicker time period I'd feel more positively about it, but it never really captured my interest.

I liked that the reader gets to know Avery really quickly. We are always in her head, and therefore always on her side.

Having said that, I found Avery quite juvenile and childish, especially towards the beginning of the story. She is supposed to be young, but it seemed like she was almost made too childish so that she could have more development as the story continued.

It took me a really long time to be able to differentiate between the four brothers. Once I had this down, the story got a lot easier to read, but before that, it was one of the reasons that I wasn't keen to keep picking the book up.

None of the characters are particularly likeable.

So many small things were happening in the plot that made little impact on the story as a whole. This made the book feel a bit slow and, at times, never-ending.

I found myself in the juxtaposing position of not caring about the story, but also wanting to know the secrets.

The reveal itself was bland - I had guessed some things, and other things I found myself not caring about.

Overall the book was fine, I was glad I read it, but I don't really have any interest in reading the sequels at the moment.

2/5



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List