A Good Person | Film Review

At the time of writing, this film came out a couple of days ago in the UK on the Sky Premiere channel. I had been looking forward to seeing it for a while, not only because I'm becoming a big fan of Florence Pugh as an actress, but also because I really liked the trailer and was interested to see how the plot would be executed.

Allison's (Florence Pugh) life is great. But when she escapes a tragedy that she might have caused, she falls into a pit of grief and addiction. In trying to put her life back together, Allison forms an unlikely friendship with her would-be father-in-law (Morgan Freeman) that gives her the chance to get back what she lost.

I really wanted to like this film. It was okay but definitely wasn't as good as the trailer or description would suggest.

I liked the opening. You get to understand and care about the characters really quickly - main and supporting. It sets up the rest of the film really well, and the characters are interesting and 3 dimensional.

I wanted the film to either be thought-provoking, entertaining or emotional, but it ended up being none of these things. After a while we as the audience were just watching these characters live their lives, without really caring about what their futures held.

It moves slowly, and feels a lot longer than it is. But even then, it was probably too long to begin with. We didn't need two hours to tell this story; having it shorter might have made it more powerful.

I lost interest in the story and characters at some point and this never came back.

Overall, this definitely wasn't as good as I wanted or expected it to be. I know that some people will probably like the film, but it wasn't one for me.

4/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List