The Woman in the Window | Film Review

 

The last time I was in a cinema, pre-Covid, this was one of the trailers, and the trailer was so interesting that I immediately wanted to see the film, so I was really glad that Netflix acquired the rights.

Dr Anna Fox (Amy Adams) is agoraphobic and can't leave her home. One day, while spying on her neighbours, she witnesses a crime. But is everything as it seems?

This film fell short for me. I didn't hate it as much as others seem to, but I also didn't love it. 

For a start, the concept was really interesting. I'm a fan of Rear Window, Disturbia and other films with similar themes, so I was automatically excited for this. The concept on its own really made me want to read the book - I've had it for a little while, but didn't want to read it until I'd seen the film.

The film is interesting in terms of cinematography. Some of the shots were really unique, and done really well.

However, the pacing of the film is all over the place. There's a lot of nothing happening, and then we're rushing through things that should have actually been given more time. For example, without spoilers, the background of Anna's family. This should have been given a lot more time, rather than a sloppily thrown-in plot twist with a 3-minute flashback that then has no impact on the rest of the film. 

Anna Fox is a really frustrating protagonist. Whether we believe her or not, it's hard to be truly on her side because of the way she acts, and the things that are revealed about her. Even when the film has concluded, I never felt anything for her at all. She also spends a lot of time jumping to (sometimes correct) conclusions without an explanation for the audience. 

I found that, after a while, the film forgot what it was supposed to be about. For me it was still entertaining, but some parts made no sense, and others just decided to completely stray from the plot.

There were some interesting, intriguing twists. Some were predictable, but that didn't make them less entertaining.

The entirety of the film feels really underwhelming, especially because it could have been really good. The main problem for me is that too much went into the set-up of the film, and not enough went into the substance.

Overall, as much as I was entertained, there were a lot of problems that ultimately ruined, what could have been, a really good film.    

4/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'