Synchronic | Film Review

 

This film wasn't on my radar until I ended up seeing the trailer. It seemed trippy and confusing, but also interesting and original. I then checked on Amazon Prime Video, and it was on sale, making it £0.99 to rent, so I took a chance and got it.

Paramedics Steve (Anthony Mackie) and Dennis (Jamie Dornan) are called to a number of incidents that seem to have a mysterious drug at the centre. But when Dennis's daughter goes missing, Steve stumbles into the world of this drug, and the time-bending nature of a new reality. 

I liked this film more than I thought I would - mainly because I understood it more than I thought I would!

It had one of the weirdest openings to a film I've ever seen, and in a way that opening tells the audience what they're about to see.

Dennis and Steve are interesting characters - particularly together. Their relationship is written well, they feel real, and the actors have great chemistry.

A lot happens in the first half hour of the film, so much so that I felt like I had been watching it for a lot longer than I had.

At times it feels like you are watching two separate movies running alongside each other. But as weird as that sounds, I feel like it worked really well. There was a good balance of the storylines.

Particularly at the beginning of the film, when the characters are trying to figure things out, there are times when you won't know what's going on. But for me, I found that the film was interesting enough for me to just go with it.

However, once we pass the beginning and actually do begin to understand what's happening, it's easy to understand and easy to enjoy. But again, going from not understanding, to understanding, is like watching two different movies - the second half was a lot more entertaining, and really in-keeping with what the film is actually about.

I don't usually watch sci-fi films, so it was really nice to see a sci-fi film that was trippy, but also completely rooted in reality, and was explained well enough to not seem too far-fetched. In addition, the sci-fi moments work really well with the more dramatic moments.

Having said that, I was disappointed by the ending. I expected it, but I would have liked for it to end in a different way.

Overall, this is a solid sci-fi movie. I enjoyed myself, but it's not something I would rush to watch a second time. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, take advantage of the sale!

6.5/10


        

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List