All My Life | Film Review

 

I have wanted to see this movie for so long. I remember seeing the trailer when it first came out, and it immediately looked like my kind of film, so I was really happy when it came out on the Sky Premiere channel a couple of weeks ago.

Jenn (Jessica Rothe) and Sol (Harry Shum Jr.) are a couple with the world at their feet, until Sol is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Now their time is limited, and the people in their lives do everything possible to help them have their dream wedding.

This film does exactly what you expect, so you probably already know whether you'll like it or not. I really did.

There was instant, believable chemistry between the two characters.

I really liked the fact that the film has a focus on their relationship before the main plot kicks in. It gives us a chance to get to know, and care, about them. I wouldn't say I fell in love with these characters, but I still liked getting to know them.

The first 40 or so minutes are not only a really sweet mini rom-com, but they are also a really nice portrayal of a sweet, ordinary, healthy relationship, and I really liked seeing that. As much as it was interesting and necessary when the conflict hits, it was nice to have a bit of time with no conflict.

Even though we know that Sol's diagnosis is coming, it still hits us when it does. The film manages the highs and lows of the characters really well.

The love between Jenn and Sol is the anchor of the film. It is what everything is rooted in, and it keeps everything grounded. Because of this, I felt like this film felt a bit different than the usual cancer-based rom-coms - because we got to know the characters both inside and outside of their tragic circumstances.

Having said that, I never felt truly invested in the story, and because of that, it never really hit me emotionally. 

It had a really sweet ending, and everything is made more impactful when you realise/remember that it is based on a true story.

Overall, this is a sweet movie that gives you exactly what you expect. I enjoyed it, and think that it's definitely worth watching.

6.5/10  



Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review