The Broken Hearts Gallery | Film Review

 

I don't even remember when I first heard about this film, but I know that I had wanted to see it for such a long time. I was going to rent it from Amazon Prime Video, but fortunately it came out on the Sky Premiere Channel, so I finally got to see it.

When Lucy's (Geraldine Viswanathan) boyfriend breaks up with her, she decides to create a gallery filled with memorabilia from past relationships.

I absolutely loved this film, and that description is just a small part of what it's about.

For a start, I really liked the idea of the film. I feel like there aren't enough early 20's rom-coms, for those of us who have no idea what we're doing. Because that was just one of the things that I loved about Lucy's character.

But I found that I loved all of the characters, even the ones that were designed to be hated. They were all really distinct, realistic, and well-written.

Lucy and Nick (Darce Montgomery) have one of my favourite meet-cutes ever! It helps that they have such great chemistry and banter, but their initial scene just sets up their entire relationship throughout the film so perfectly. They are so much fun to watch.

The film in and of itself is written really well - you instantly feel like you know these characters and their world as well as they do themselves.

As I was watching the film, the word that kept coming to mind was 'saccharine'. It was so sweet that I ended up spending an hour just smiling at the screen. And again, that had a lot to do with Lucy and Nick.

I loved that it was really modern without stereotyping millennials or falling into the trap of accidentally making fun of itself.

Because it's a rom-com, it does have the typical rom-com issue, which is either a lack of communication, or miscommunication. I find it really frustrating, but at the same time, it would be hard to make a film like this without some kind of conflict. But it would have been nice to have a more original conflict. Though for the record, I am all for conflict-free films when they rarely appear.

And again with rom-coms, it is predictable. But it was also so good that you don't really care about how predictable it is. In fact, you're hoping that it ends the way you know it will.

This film reminded me why I love romance movies.

Overall, I completely fell in love with this story and these characters. I loved the film so much that I spent the next hour listening to love songs. Check this out if you haven't seen it yet!

8/10


     

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Wonka | Film Review