Promising Young Woman | Film Review

 

I had been looking forward to seeing this for a really long time, regardless of it being Oscar nominated, so I'm really glad that it was released through the Sky Premiere channel.

Cassie (Carey Mulligan) is not who everyone thinks she is. But when she gets the chance to finally get justice for a traumatising event from her past, can she pass up the opportunity?

I loved this film! I always liked the concept, but I loved the way it was executed.

The opening scene was such a great way to introduce both the story and the character of Cassie. We are thrown in at the deep end, which was the best way to start the story.

Cassie is a really interesting character, particularly because she's not typically 'likeable'. She has not been created as a character that you fall in love with, because she is so complex. There are so many layers to her that the feelings of the audience change many times the more we see her.

The story itself is really intriguing. I was hooked from the first moment because there were just so many questions that I wanted answers to. It tackles so many issues and does it really well.

One of the reasons that this is done so well is because of the writing. It makes complete sense to me that this won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, because the screenplay was amazing.

The story goes in such an interesting direction. I could guess a few of the upcoming plot-lines, but that didn't make them any less powerful.

There are many amazing actors in this movie, including Bo Burham (Ryan), Alison Brie (Madison), Laverne Cox (Gail), Chris Lowell (Al) and Connie Britton (Dean Elizabeth Walker), but Carey Mulligan is amazing in this role. This is the best I've seen her, and this film is certainly hers.

The events leading up to the end of the film feel strange, particularly because of the nature of the story, but I do appreciate the fact that they decided to go in that direction and do something really unexpected.

I liked the ending, but I was definitely disappointed by it. I can understand why it went that way, but I feel like there were better things that could be done.

Overall, as I said, I loved the movie. I loved the way it was written, the way it was acted, and what the message of it was, and I can't wait to see it again!

8.5/10


   

 

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List