Why Are You Like This | TV Show Review

 

I've started to make notes on the shows I watch rather than writing these reviews from memory, so hopefully they're a bit more structured!

This is a show that I found on Netflix (UK), and I started watching it because I recognised one of the actresses (Olivia Junkeer - far right)  from the Australian Soap Neighbours, which I have watched for years, so I was interested to see her outside of her Neighbours role.

Three best friends, Penny (Naomi Higgins), Mia (Olivia Junkeer) and Austin (Wil King) navigate life as twenty-somethings going through the ups and downs of life in Melbourne, Australia.

I have mixed feelings about this show. I think the description of the show is better than the show actually is.

It felt like these characters are not meant to be taken seriously. They reminded me of the characters in 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' in the way that the audience is in on the joke of them being morally reprehensible, unhinged characters, and that's why we love them. But with this show, the audience isn't in on the joke. It feels like they are mocking the people whose values they're portraying, and I'm not sure that was the intention.

I also didn't find it that funny. I saw where the comedy was supposed to come it, but it didn't really work for me that often. I felt like I was supposed to be laughing, rather than watching something that genuinely elicited laughter.

The show isn't that entertaining, mainly because the storyline of each episode isn't that good. The episodes themselves felt a bit bland, and they weren't particularly meaningful in the lives of the characters. The only way I can describe it is that they all felt like filler episodes for something bigger.

None of the characters were likeable at all, and I still can't work out if they were supposed to be.

Having said that, I really liked both the first and last episode. I felt the first was a good introduction to these characters, and the last was really interesting in terms of its views of people being 'cancelled'. If the last episode had been the second, and the following four had had similar themes and levels of humour, this could have been a really good show.

Overall, I think a second season of the show is being made, and I will probably watch it to see if it's better than this one. As I said, I liked the basic premise, but I thought it could have been executed a lot better.

2/5 Stars


   

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review