What's Love Got to Do with It? | Film Review

 

I remember being intrigued by this film when it first came out. I love a rom-com, and this looked like a unique approach to one, with a perspective not usually shown, so I was really interested in seeing it.

Zoe (Lily James) documents her best friend Kaz's (Shazad Latif) journey into an arranged marriage.

I was quite disappointed with this movie actually. I really wanted to like it because I really liked the premise.

At the start I really liked the characters. They felt well-written and authentic.

But I quickly realised that, as much as I liked the characters alone, none of them had any chemistry. And that's not just about the romantic couples - every person in the film who had to interact with another person had absolutely no chemistry with them.

The film never made me care about any of the characters, and I didn't particularly like them after a while either.

It wasn't as heart-warming as it could have been, and it definitely wasn't as romantic or comedic as it needed to be to make the story work.

Ultimately, what was an original premise ended up being a really generic movie that feels like it's been done a couple of times.

Overall, this film wasn't what I wanted it to be. It ended up being a bit generic, a bit disappointing, and not very funny or romantic. Probably not one I'll re-watch.

3/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List