Somebody I Used to Know | Film Review

When I first heard about this film, for some reason, I thought it was a thriller, and was really excited to see it. So when I realised it wasn't, it took me a while to get around to seeing it.

On a visit to her hometown, Ally (Allison Brie) runs into and reminisces with her ex (Jay Ellis), before finding out that he's engaged.

I felt disappointed with this film. I didn't really enjoy it at all.

In the beginning, things move too quickly. You don't get to know Ally at all, and when she meets Sean, there's no build-up of chemistry with him. They don't feel believable as a former couple.

The film has a weird tone, not quite romantic or dramatic or funny. A lot of it felt like we were just watching things develop. There wasn't even enough to have an opinion on at some points.

I never connected to any of the characters, and I saw no chemistry with any of the potential or established couples.

My biggest problem with the film was with Jay Ellis's character, Sean. He is the most unlikeable character in the film, and it was so hard to work out why anyone wanted to be in a relationship with him, let alone these two characters.

Fundamentally, the film is a bit boring. I didn't care enough about the characters to care what happened to them or how they ended up.

Overall, this film wasn't for me, and I can't really see myself watching it again.

3/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List