Maybe I Do | Film Review

I put this film on the day I saw it come out on Prime Video, for no other reason than it looked vaguely interesting and quite short. I wish I had read some reviews before I watched it.

When Michelle (Emma Roberts) and Allen (Luke Bracey) come to a crossroads in their relationship, they have dinner with both sets of parents to sort out their problems. But soon it is discovered that their parents already know each other.

I still have no idea what to think of this film. What was it about, and what was it supposed to be?

The cast is amazing. Michelle and Allen's parents are played by Diane Keaton, Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and William H. Macy, and as much as I love those actors individually, I'm struggling to see why they chose to play these roles.

The film didn't make the audience care about the characters, and because of this, it is hard (if not impossible) to care about anything that happens.

This could have worked really well as a full-on comedy if it really leaned into the hilarity and outrageousness of the situation, but instead, it tried to be too many things and ended up not doing any genre particularly well.

It also doesn't get the tone right. The whole thing just feels a bit weird.

None of the couples have particularly good chemistry, particularly the main couple who definitely should not have been together.

I read somewhere that this was originally a play, and that makes sense because of how dialogue-heavy it was. Unfortunately, it really didn't work in this format.

Overall, I don't really know what the point of this film was, or why it was made, so I wouldn't recommend it.

2/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List