Book Review #115: The Mother by T. M. Logan

 

As I say every year, I absolutely love T. M. Logan. He is my favourite author (sharing first place with Karen M. McManus), and I pre-order his books every year so I can read them as soon as they come out. I didn't love last year's book, 'The Curfew', but I was still really excited to read this one.

After spending 10 years in prison for a crime she didn't commit, Heather will stop at nothing to get her sons back and uncover the truth behind her husband's murder.

I loved this book. I was excited to read it because I really liked the premise, and thankfully it was executed really well.

Usually, I'm not a big fan of prologues, but the prologue for this book is great. It gives nothing away while making the reader want to know more.

You get to know and sympathise with Heather really quickly, which just makes you as the reader all the more eager to find out the truth.

Without giving anything away, the character of Jodie was probably my favourite of all the characters in all of Logan's works. She's written really well, and whether she ends up being on Heather's side or against her, I loved her contribution to the story.

You get invested in the story really quickly. It's exciting, thrilling, and a definite page-turner.

There are some things I didn't love about the story. There were a couple of odd, clunky phrases that took me out of the plot at some points.

Some things about the final reveal were really guessable. This didn't take anything away from the story, but I was able to guess at least one really pivotal plot point.

And then there was the reason behind everything, or at least, what we are led to believe the reason could be. It was very impersonal to Heather, and felt really disconnected from her. Because of that, I didn't really care about what Heather was trying to find throughout the story.

But having said that, the book was a great read, and the ending felt really earned. 

Overall, this is definitely one to read. It's a great book that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and as always, I can't wait to read what Logan writes next!

4/5



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List