Not Okay | Film Review

I had been meaning to watch this film for a while. I liked the premise immediately, so I'm really glad I finally got around to it!

When aspiring influencer Danni Sanders (Zoey Deutch) fakes a trip to Paris, she accidentally becomes caught in a lie that changes her life forever.

I loved this film. I loved it from beginning to end and I wish I had watched it sooner!

The first thing I loved was the opening. It felt really relevant to the world today, and immediately gives you an insight into what this story will be about.

This film is a lesson in how to write a good unlikable character. Danni is an amazing character, and as much as you hate her, there are still things you might be able to sympathise with.

The film itself is really well-written and feels really authentic. It felt really current without feeling pander-y or cringey (though there were a few moments of this). You believe this character and may know people who would do what she did.

Danni has a lot of reverse character development, which I loved. The way she goes from sympathetic to concerning to completely insane is amazingly done. Throughout the film I wrestled with whether Danni was genuinely a bad person, and it's great that the film created that conflict.

The reveal/'coming clean' section of the film was perfectly done.

The craziest thing about this film to me, is that I feel like it could easily happen in real life. Craving attention is nothing new, but the ease of gaining attention now just makes it easier to crave.

Overall, I loved every second of this film from start to finish and I'd definitely recommend it.

8.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List