Cyrano | Film Review

I know nothing about the original story this film is based on, I know nothing about the musical it comes from, I 100% watched this film because I'm a huge fan of Peter Dinklage and I have no regrets.

Cyrano (Peter Dinklage) feels like he is not attractive enough to be worthy of Roxanne's (Haley Bennet) love. So when she falls in love with Christian (Kelvin Harrison Jr.), Cyrano uses him to tell Roxanne how he feels.

I really liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would.

Because I knew nothing about the film before seeing it, I completely missed the memo that it was a musical. I love that, because I'm a big fan of musicals, but I can understand why some might not. I probably would have watched it sooner if I'd known.

The characters are well-written and interesting to watch.

At times I found it hard to stay completely engaged with the story. It moved slowly and once you get the gist, you can follow easily without having to pay too close attention.

The tone of the film felt a bit all over the place - it was a lot more comedic than I expected, but it switched from comedy to drama in odd places. And while I really liked this, particularly the comedic aspect, I just didn't expect it.

The songs are set up like additional pieces of dialogue, rather than huge musical numbers. I loved this as it made the music really feel like part of the movie - sometimes it didn't feel like a musical at all.

Overall this was a beautiful, heart-breaking story that I'd definitely recommend.

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List