Ranking The Star Wars Movies!

I am the latest person in the world when it comes to the Star Wars movies. All through my childhood and teenage years I had absolutely no desire to watch them. And then suddenly, at the ripe old age of 22, I really wanted to watch them. So I watched all the movies within a week.

I didn't want to write reviews on each one, because I didn't have a lot to say about some of them, but I did want to talk about them all, so I thought that I'd do the same thing I did with the X-Men movies, and rank them, giving each one a brief review.

Also, there might be spoilers for some of the movies, because they came out so long ago. But I'll try not to spoil anything major, and I certainly won't spoil the two newest ones (The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi)!

I'm not including 'Rogue One' or 'Solo', so this is just for the specific Star Wars, episode whatever movies. Tell me what your Star Wars ranking is!

8. Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Image result for attack of the clones

The only thing I really liked about this film was the relationship between Padmé  (Natalie Portman) and Anakin (Haden Cristensen). This is the first time we see Anakin as an adult, and I really liked his character, and I loved the idea of these characters being together. But apart from that, the rest of the movie was a bit... meh. Now, the worst Star Wars movie is better than a lot of other movies, so I'm not saying that this was a bad movie, but in terms of what else came out of the Star Wars universe, it was the least interesting and the least impactful in terms of a lot of the future story-lines.

7. Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Image result for the phantom menace

Now, I don't know if this was actually a better film than the one above, but I've rated it above in my list because it introduced all of these amazing characters (Especially C-3PO and Obi-Wan), and the Original trilogy was definitely in my head while I was watching this. But apart from that, like the first, it was a bit meh. Especially after having already seen the original trilogy.

6. Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Image result for revenge of the sith movie

This was hands-down my favourite of the prequel series. It has a story that isn't meh and the character arc that Anakin goes through is amazing, in the writing, direction, and everything else. It was the first in the prequel series that made me sad that I'd seen Empire Strikes Back first, because as amazing as the twist in that was, I also loved seeing it from this point of view (and I would LOVE this plot to be explored again with the current villain, Kylo Ren).

5. Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Image result for the last jedi

I'm really upset that I have to put this film so far down the list, because I absolutely LOVED it and would love to put it higher up. But I can't justify putting it above the Original trilogy, so it has to go here. But I thought it was so good. I loved seeing more of the characters that I had come to love in 'The Force Awakens', I loved the character arc of Kylo Ren (who is one of my favourite villains of all time), I loved the welcome return of Luke Skywalker, I just thought that there were so many good things about this movie, that I didn't even have time to dwell on the things that maybe weren't so great.

4. Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Image result for return of the jedi

When I think about the Original trilogy, this is the one that always comes to my mind first, particularly the last conversation between Luke (Mark Hamill) and Leia (Carrie Fisher), which I loved so much! I also loved that the first half of the movie was about trying to find Han Solo (Harrison Ford), because it just reaffirmed how close the team were. So yeah, I loved it a lot, and if I had to re-watch one of the originals, it would probably be this one. Plus, the Ewoks!

3. Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Image result for the empire strikes back

Okay, I'm aware that this is a somewhat controversial opinion, not putting this film in the number one or two slot. I loved this movie, as everyone does. But I didn't enjoy it as much as the two movies that I haven't mentioned yet. For a start, being a human being on Earth spoiled the twist for me - years and years before I knew what Star Wars was, I knew the true parentage of Luke Skywalker. So this took away from the story a little bit, regretfully. I liked the way that it finished on a cliffhanger, I loved the way that the team (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3PO and R2-D2) were fully established and together, and I loved the way that the film was written and directed. The problem with the Star Wars franchise is that there are too many near-perfect movies!

2. Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Image result for the force awakens

I loved this movie too much to spoil it by talking about it too much. But this is here for a number of reasons. First, the new characters! Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega), Poe (Oscar Isaac) and my absolute favourite new character, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), are all amazing additions to the franchise. I was kind of worried that the new movies wouldn't be able to hold up when compared to the amazing original trilogy, but this one (and The Last Jedi, to an extent) definitely hold up! I loved the story, and I loved that the originals came back to continue on their respective journeys. Overall, I thought this was an incredible movie on it's own, but with the backdrop of the other movies, it was extraordinary.

1. Episode IV - A New Hope
Image result for a new hope

Could number one really be anything else? If you're trying to start watching the series and have no idea where to begin, begin right here. This is the film that opens up this whole world - it's the film that brings three of the world's most iconic characters into our lives, and it's just perfect. The perfect introduction to this world, the perfect introduction to these characters, the perfect sci-fi film for people who don't love sci-fi, and for when they were making it, everything that they managed to accomplish was incredible. If you've never seen a Star Wars film, take this as a sign and watch this one right now!

What's your ranking of Star Wars movies?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

If I Stay | Film Review