Happy Death Day 2U | Film Review

Image result for happy death day 2u poster

Hey Guys x

I saw the first Happy Death Day when it came out, and after seeing it a few times I really enjoyed it for what it was, a fun horror movie with an original premise. So when I heard that Blumhouse were making a second movie, as intrigued as I was, I was also extremely sceptical.

College student Tree (Jessica Rothe) has just been freed from the time loop that she was stuck in, where she relived the same day (her birthday) over and over again, dying at the end of each day, until she discovered who was killing her. However, just when she thinks that the problem has been solved, she discovers who started the time loop in the first place. And suddenly, living the same day over and over again isn't Tree's biggest problem. But can she figure out how to destroy the time loop once and for all before it's too late?

I had to watch this film twice before I felt confident enough to review it. Upon first viewing, I really didn't know what to make of it. I couldn't work out what it was about it that I wasn't sure about, and I didn't have enough that I liked to formulate a coherent opinion. But after watching it a second time, a lot of things made more sense, and I could kind of understand where the filmmakers were coming from with the plot.

The first thing I noticed was that the film was almost split into two different parts.

It started off really well. It begins using the tried and tested formula from the first film. It does it in such a way that you feel like you've just finished watching the first film and are more than willing to watch another hour and a half of this story with these characters.

However, as enjoyable as the first part was, it left a lot of plot holes and unanswered questions that are then completely forgotten about and unexplained.
But in addition to that, it falls quickly into confusing territory. When it becomes less about horror and more scientific, you start to lose interest, and it starts to feel less like a sequel and more like something different.

When we get into the second part of the film, you start to see the potential of the sequel. You understand a bit more about what was happening in the first part, and you suddenly become extremely interested in these characters once again. But unfortunately, the story isn't as interesting the second time around.

As well as that, it seems like there's constantly too much going on, which takes away from the main point of the story.

Overall, in the easiest way to describe - the first film was more of a traditional horror, while the second was more of a sci-fi film with an element of horror. It really depends what you're into. For me, I preferred the first film.

6/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review