Ranking The X-Men Movies!

Hey Guys x

There are so many films in the X-Men series that I know there would be no point in reviewing them all in separate posts, especially because I don't have much to say about some of them.

So I thought that I'd just review them all in one post. And then I thought, why don't I rank them too? So that's what I'm doing! (If you're here from my 'Oscars 2018' tag/label, that's because Logan has been nominated for an Oscar!)

Although I have to say, I've only seen each movie once, so the rankings are definitely on first impression, and will probably change if I ever go back and watch them all again. And there will definitely be spoilers, because they all (with the exception of Logan) came out so long ago that I assume that whoever wanted to see them already has.

Also, I'm not including Deadpool, because I watched it ages ago and my mind kind of keeps them separate. But let's be honest, it would probably be at the top of the list.

9. The Wolverine
Image result for the wolverine

I don't think I have to preface this by stating my love for Hugh Jackman, because who doesn't love him? But for me, this film wasn't great. It felt completely separate, not only from the X-Men films, but also from his other 'Wolverine' based standalones. However, I loved the fact that it was set in Japan, so there was a hell of a lot of POC representation. But I don't feel like it did anything to change Wolverine's character, and if this movie hadn't happened, the next movies would have been pretty much the same.

8. X2
Image result for x2 film

I think for me, this film was the most confusing of the X-Men original trilogy. It had a very similar storyline to the first film, with the mutant registration act, but it wasn't the new and exciting thing that X-Men was because we've literally seen it before. In a way, I kind of feel like I'd have liked to see the third film in this place, with the new storyline. And then this could have been the last film, about putting an end to the mutant registration act once and for all. But yeah, it definitely wasn't my favourite.

7. X-Men: The Last Stand
Image result for x men the last stand

I really liked the storyline this time around, compared to the other X-Men movies. And I liked the fact that, as this was a trilogy, the stakes were high and people could die. However, some of the deaths (*cough* Scott Summers *cough*) I really didn't like. And in addition to that, apart from the storyline of finding a cure for mutants, it kind of felt like they found a winning formula with Magneto being the villain in the first two films and decided to just go with that again. I didn't really get a sense of character development, which for the end of a trilogy, isn't great. However, I still thought that it was a good film and I'd definitely watch it again.

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Image result for x men origins wolverine

I never normally really enjoy origin stories - but when you have a character like Wolverine/Logan who hasn't known who they really are for three movies, the need for an origin story becomes a demand, and I was more than happy to sit through this one because it was about a character that I'm really interested in. Plus, the addition of Ryan Reynolds can never really be a bad thing, even if they did ruin Deadpool in this movie. Like 'The Wolverine', it was disconnected from the X-Men films, but because it was an origin story, it didn't need to be connected at all, and it worked that it wasn't. Plus, near the end it does connect, and it was so cool to see Professor X again!

5. X-Men
Image result for x men film

This was the film that started everything off. I think it was an amazing concept, the cast was incredible, and it really paved the way for the plethora of superhero movies that are out today. However, I just think that, as someone watching it for the first time in 2018, it suffers a bit because it's an older film, so the special effects and things like that aren't as good as they are now. In fact, I definitely think the problem is that I've seen too many superhero movies and can't help but compare them. But I thought the film, the script, the actors, the concept, and everything else about this film is great, especially for the time it came out.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
Image result for x men days of future past

OMG was this an amazing concept! The X-Men of the future having to reunite with their former selves! That's incredible, the cast was incredible, and I thought that it was done really well. I loved the character development from 'X-Men: First Class' to this, and the addition of Wolverine/Logan/Hugh Jackman just made it a thousand times better. So why is it only 4 on this list? Well for one, I found the 'future' bits kind of confusing and I just wasn't interested in them. But the main reason why this is lower down than it otherwise would have been is the fact that this film ended by completely erasing 'X-Men: The Last Stand'. Like seriously, it just completely changed the whole of that film, making me feel like 'The Last Stand' wasn't even worth watching because the only person that was affected by it was Wolverine.

3. X-Men Apocalypse
Image result for x men apocalypse

I enjoyed this movie so much. I think I would have liked it anyway, just because I've been in love with this cast for so long. But this movie wasn't what I expected it to be at all. I'd heard bad things about it, so I just assumed that it wouldn't be a very good film. However, I found myself getting so invested in it. I loved seeing the young versions of the rest of the X-Men from the first three movies, and thought this was done really well. Also,having Peter Maximoff as Magneto's son is something from the comic books that I was really hoping they would do. And in the next movie, I hope that Magneto actually gets to find out this information. But overall, I thought this film was great and I will definitely be watching it again!

2. Logan
Image result for logan

First of all, can I just marvel at the fact that this is now an OSCAR NOMINATED MOVIE!! It's nominated for best adapted screenplay and I really hope it wins. But even if it doesn't, that's a huge achievement. Also, this is the first time that I'll be able to tag a superhero-based post with 'Oscars' and that excites me no end. I really hope that this is the path of things to come because superhero movies are amazing. And let's be honest, Logan is one of the best. It probably wouldn't mean a lot to you if you're not an X-Men fan, or if you haven't seen all the movies. Without spoiling anything, it ties up the X-Men 'future' franchise so well. I say future because the past timeline is still going strong and I'm sure they'll get a few more movies out of that. But as for the future, this is the end of the line, and what a way to go out!

1. X-Men: First Class
Image result for x men first class

This is my number one. Now, I don't think it was particularly a better film than the last three I mentioned. However, it's here because it was the beginning of this new timeline and paved the way for the two directions that the X-Men movies have gone in. The casting of this film was so freaking perfect, as James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult, as well as everyone else, were completely amazing in their roles. I was interested in the Xavier/Magneto relationship from the first X-Men film, and this film shows how they met and how they became friends. It was done perfectly, it showed the beginning of the X-Men, and I just completely loved it. Loved it!

Have you seen the X-Men movies? What's your ranking?

Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List