Lion | Film Review

Image result for lion film

Hey Guys x

I know it's the middle of the night (in the UK), but I just finished watching this movie and the Oscars are tomorrow so I wanted to get this up as soon as possible!

That means that that this will be a 'live' post, meaning that I'm uploading it as soon as I finish writing it and not editing it or anything.

So, Lion.

This movie is about a boy called Saroo. He's a five-year-old living in India when he gets separated from his brother and ends up in Calcutta, and eventually adopted by an Australian family. But he never forgot where he was and decides that he wants to find his real family, before it's too late.

I have to preface my review by saying that, for some reason, the version of the film that I saw didn't include subtitles. So for the first hour, because all of the characters were speaking in an Indian dialect, I didn't really understand what was happening fully, and had to read the Wikipedia page to work out what was happening.

Whether it was that, or something else, a lot of the film felt kind of lost on me. There were things I missed, things I didn't understand, and I really think I need to watch it again to get the full picture.

Nevertheless, the parts of the film that I did understand, I thought were really good. The child actor who played young Saroo was amazing, and Dev Patel, who took over as older Saroo was equally incredible!

In addition, I felt like the film did a really good job of capturing the sad parts of Saroo's life. Not at one point did I think that the writing was overdramatic or that it was being over or underacted. So that was done really well.

The supporting characters were good in the movie too, but none of them even came close to both Saroo's performances.

Whether you cry or not (I didn't) it definitely tugs on your heartstrings, and makes you feel so bad for all the things that this poor boy has had to go through in his life. I couldn't help feeling really sorry for him.

But overall, in terms of the other Oscar nominated movies, it wasn't my favourite. In fact, it was one of my least favourite Oscar movies. However, I still really enjoyed it and I'd definitely watch it again, so I'm sure that this says something about the calibre of films this year so far!

Thank you for reading!

Will you see this film? Comment below!

Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'