The Oscars 2020: My Wishes and Predictions

Image result for the oscars

Hey Guys x

This is my fourth year of writing this post, and this is the first time that I feel kind of unprepared for the Oscars tonight. I guess because I've been really busy this year that everything has kind of snuck up on me.

Nevertheless, I did manage to see all of the Best Picture nominees, and enough of the other movies that I still wanted to do this post. I mean, I couldn't miss it!

So as usual, I'll start by ranking the Best Picture nominees according to which I liked the most. However, as usual, my opinions always seem to be kind of controversial compared to the rest of the internet world!

Click on each film to be taken to my review of it!

9. Little Women
8. Ford v Ferrari
7. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
6. Jojo Rabbit
5. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
3. 1917
2. Joker
1. Parasite

To be honest, I really struggled between Parasite and Joker, but I eventually went with Parasite as number one because as well as it being amazing, it's also completely original, has an amazing message behind it, and it's completely making history due to being a foreign film, and I'd love that to continue. But I still love Joker more than words!

Best Picture

Prediction: 1917

Wish: Parasite

I feel like I've already discussed above why I want Parasite to win Best Picture, because my reasons are pretty much the same as what I've already said. However, I thought 1917 was great, and considering all the 'Best Picture' awards it has already won, it seems likely that it will walk away with the big award tonight.

Best Director
Bong Joon-ho, Parasite
Sam Mendes, 1917
Todd Phillips, Joker
Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood


Prediction: Sam Mendes

Wish: Bong Joon-ho

Sam Mendes won this award at both the BAFTAs and the Golden Globes, so again I feel like things are pretty much swayed in his direction. And the way that 1917 was shot (to look like it was one continuous take) was visionary, so I completely understand why he'll probably win. Nevertheless, I'd love Bong Joon-ho to take it, because while his film wasn't visionary in terms of the shooting, the story that was told was visionary, and he should definitely get a lot of credit for what he created.

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes


Prediction: Joaquin Phoenix

Wish: Joaquin Phoenix

Joker was my favourite movie of 2019, Joaquin is one of my favourite actors, it's a no-brainer. If he doesn't win, I'd love it to be Adam Driver, who I also love, but it has to be Joaquin. I can't praise his performance enough - it was amazing!

Best Actress
Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
Charlize Theron, Bombshell
Renée Zellweger, Judy


Prediction: Renée Zellweger

Wish: Charlize Theron

To be honest, this is the category that I have the least interest in at all. I haven't seen 'Judy' or 'Harriet' yet (but I'm sure both actresses were amazing in their respective roles), and of the remaining three that I have seen, Charlize's is the performance of the three that stood out to me. But even then, it didn't feel like an Oscar winning performance. Not that the other two actresses were bad in their films or anything, but I felt like they were forgettable to me. To be honest, I felt like Scarlett Johansson's performance in Jojo Rabbit was more groundbreaking that her performance in Marriage Story.

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


Prediction: Brad Pitt

Wish: Joe Pesci

Based on the awards handed out this year, Brad Pitt totally has this, and of the performances in 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood', his was the best. However, I don't feel like Joe Pesci's performance in 'The Irishman' is being talked about enough. Because yes, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro were amazing in the film, but Pesci stole the show for me, and I'd love to see him awarded for it.

Best Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh, Little Women
Margot Robbie, Bombshell


Prediction: Laura Dern

Wish: Scarlett Johansson

Like Brad Pitt, Laura Dern has won the Best Supporting Actress awards coming up to the Oscars, so I'm pretty sure she'll win. However, as I mentioned already, I thought Scarlett Johansson's performance in Jojo Rabbit was amazing, and of all the performances listed, that's the one that made me feel the most things during the respective movies.

Best Original Screenplay
Rian Johnson, Knives Out
Sam Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns, 1917
Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won, Parasite


Prediction: Quentin Tarantino

Wish: Bong Joon-ho

Both of these men have won this award in previous awards shows, but I feel like if the Academy members had to choose between the two, they'd go with Tarantino, so that's who I'm guessing. However, I'd want Bong Joon-ho to have it, and I hope that the Academy feel the same way, because one of the best things about 'Parasite' was the incredible writing, and I really think it deserves all the accolades it can get!

Best Adapted Screenplay
Steven Zaillian, The Irishman
Todd Phillips and Scott Silver, Joker
Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit
Greta Gerwig, Little Women
Anthony McCarten, The Two Popes


Prediction: Steven Zaillian or Todd Phillips and Scott Silver

Wish: Taika Waititi or Todd Phillips and Scott Silver

I had no idea how to guess this one, given that Taika Waititi won this award at the BAFTAs, and as mentioned, Tarantino won at the Golden Globes (as they don't differentiate between Original and Adapted). Because I don't feel like the Academy would particularly revere a film like 'Jojo Rabbit', my guess is for either 'The Irishman' or 'Joker', which were both really well written. If I could have sole choice, I would give it to Taika because 'Jojo Rabbit' was written amazingly well. However, I also loved the way that Joker was written, so if either of those win I'll be happy.

Best Original Score
Thomas Newman, 1917
Hildur Guðnadóttir, Joker
Alexandre Desplat, Little Women
Randy Newman, Marriage Story
John Williams, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


Prediction: Hildur Guðnadóttir

Wish: Any

This is the only category that I would be happy for any of the nominees to win. Of course, the Joker score was amazing and is rightfully winning awards. But each of these Scores was so important to their respective movies, so any of them would be worthy of an award.

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins, 1917
Jarin Blaschke, The Lighthouse
Rodrigo Prieto, The Irishman
Lawrence Sher, Joker
Robert Richardson, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood


Prediction: Roger Deakins

Wish: Roger Deakins

The cinematography in 1917 was amazing, completely stunning, and although I haven't seen The Lighthouse yet (thought I can't wait!), 1917 for me stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of its cinematography.

Best Costume Design
Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson, The Irishman
Jacqueline Durran, Little Women
Mayes C. Rubeo, Jojo Rabbit
Mark Bridges, Joker
Arianne Phillips, Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood


Prediction: Jacqueline Durran

Wish: Jacqueline Durran

Looking at the nominees, I feel like 'Little Women' did a lot in terms of the costume. I've read things since I saw the film about the care that was taken when creating the costumes, right down to each of the sisters' outfits having a specific colour pallet, so I definitely feel like 'Little Women' should take this one.

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King
1917
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


Prediction: 1917

Wish: Avengers: Endgame

Comic Book movies never get the credit they deserve when it comes to awards like this, and while most of these films had amazing visual effects (and I would be happy with any of them winning), I'd personally give it to Avengers: Endgame.

So that's my opinion on the 2020 Oscars, which are happening tonight!

Will you be tuning in to the Oscars tonight?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List