1917 | Film Review

Image result for 1917 movie poster

Hey Guys x

I can't believe how long it took me to finally see this film. And I admit that, were it not for the Oscars, I probably wouldn't have seen it for ages because it didn't really appeal to me. But I'm so glad I did!

During World War I, two soldiers must take on the harrowing task of crossing enemy lines to deliver a message that would save the lives of over a thousand fellow soldiers.

I really liked this film, and that surprised me because I didn't expect to like it that much.

For a start, this movie was filmed in one continuous take (or to look like one continuous take anyway), and that was perfect for a film like this. It had the same effect, for me, as watching a foreign film with subtitles - if you look away for a second, you miss a lot!

I really liked that it didn't downplay the very real danger of the situation, and nothing is shied away from. Every gory dead body/animal, every ounce of pain is on display. It made me as an audience member feel constantly on edge, and the level of tension that the film produced was great.

The score, use of sound and the use of silence are all so integral, and they're done so well.

The story in and of itself is really interesting. It's something you want to hear about even if you're not a fan of the genre.

There is great chemistry between the two main characters, Lance Corporal William Schofield (George MacKay) and Lance Corporal Thomas Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman). The camera is on these two for a LONG time, and you don't disbelieve them for a second.
Both of these actors, but specifically George MacKay, should be getting a lot more praise than they are, and I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about him.

Overall, this is probably still out in the cinema, so go see it!

8/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review