The Perfection | Film Review

Image result for the perfection

Hey Guys x

I've had this saved in my to-watch list ever since it came out on Netflix, but it was only last week that I actually sat down to watch it. I definitely should have watched it sooner!

It's about Charlotte (Allison Williams), a music prodigy that was forced to leave a prestigious music school in Boston years before the movie takes place. Returning, she meets and befriends the school's new star pupil Lizzie (Logan Browning) - but is everything as it seems?

I found writing the description really hard because there are so many things that can be given away so easily when talking about this film. Also, if you're planning to watch it - DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

The first feeling I got from the film was the coldness and detachment I felt. Not only did I feel detached from both the story itself and the characters, but the characters themselves start off extremely cold and unapproachable.

The film is not at all what you think it will be. Be aware that if you have a weak stomach, or emetophobia, there are a few vomit-related scenes in the first half of the movie that you might want to close your eyes during.

I hope it's not a spoiler to say that there is a plot twist in the movie, but there is, and it changes everything and makes (what starts off as) a confusing film so much better and more intriguing. You find yourself unable to look away from the screen.

Some of the dialogue is cheesy and disingenuous, and some scenes feel like more of a parody than a thriller (and I say 'thriller' firmly because, despite how it's described and categorised, I definitely don't think this is a horror movie).

Without giving away too much, one of the things that I loved most about the movie upon reflection is that, on Netflix it is labelled as an LGBT movie, but sexuality is literally the last thing you're thinking about when watching it. As much as we need LGBT movies where sexuality is the main focus (and we're getting more amazing films with this theme as time goes on), it is still extremely important to have films with LGBT characters where their sexuality isn't even mentioned or thought about, because being LGBT+ is just as normal and valid as being straight. I think this film does a really good job of this, and I'd love to see more movies do it.

By the end of the film, you feel like you've been through a roller-coaster of emotions, and this is because the film and twist(s) is done so well that there are multiple times when you have an 'omg' moment.

Overall, I don't know if this film will be for everyone, but I really really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to everyone who's a fan of a good twisty thriller!

7.5/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List