A Quiet Place | Film Review

Image result for a quiet place film poster

Hey Guys x

This is a movie that I was looking forward to for so long. As a huge fan of both Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, I was excited about the prospect of them working together before I even knew that they were making a movie of my favourite genre.

The movie is about a family who have to live their lives in complete silence (only communicating through sign language), due to the fact that they are hiding from creatures that hunt using sound.

That's not a long description because the film doesn't really need it. It's a simple premise, but it's an idea that is so easy to get wrong in a number of ways. I watch A LOT of horror movies, and I'm surprised that no one had come up with this idea before because sometimes the simpler ideas are the best, and the scariest.

I loved this film. I thought it was amazing.

If you have the chance, I think it's the kind of film that has to be watched in the cinema, because that atmosphere is something that you can't achieve watching by yourself.

Because the film is so silent, you as a viewer automatically want to be silent, meaning that you can literally hear a pin drop, which just adds to the terror of the film. I remember at one point someone in my cinema opened up a can of a drink and it made me jump because the noise was so loud!

The acting is the first thing I want to highlight about this film, because the plot in itself was so strong that it might be something that's overlooked, but it was acted so well by each actor. As you can probably tell, it was a really small cast, but every cast member was incredible in their role. And I can't even just pinpoint John Krasinski and Emily Blunt because the actors that played their children were also completely amazing!

Speaking of John Krasinski, he also co-wrote this film, and directed it! And he did such an amazing job. There wasn't a second when I wasn't looking at the screen, I didn't want to miss a moment of it, and I think that's a definite credit to him as a filmmaker. When you watch interviews of him talking about it, you can see how passionate he is about it, and that definitely shows!

One thing I will say though is that I definitely don't agree with the reviews calling the film 'the scariest film of the year' and things to that extent. I don't know if that's because I watch a lot of horror films of whatever, but I definitely wasn't scared. Sure, I jumped multiple times because of the manipulation of sound and noise (which was so clever!), but it wasn't the kind of horror film that made me feel actually scared, and I definitely didn't think about it that way after leaving. So, while I would class this as a horror movie, I think it also might sit within the 'thriller' category - but hey, that's just my personal opinion. It's not the kind of movie that you shouldn't watch just because you don't like horror movies.

However, overall I'd definitely say that everyone should go and watch this film, everything about it is unique and thought-provoking (and at times tear-jerking). I saw someone say that the film made them feel every emotion and I completely agree with that. There aren't enough good things I can say about it, go and see it!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'