M3GAN | Film Review

I had been looking forward to seeing this film for so long! I love horror movies, especially ones featuring 'evil' dolls, so this was always going to be one I was excited for.

After Gemma (Allison Williams) becomes the caretaker for her niece Cady (Violet McGraw), she gifts Cady M3GAN - a doll designed to be a child's best friend. But when Cady and M3GAN's bond becomes stronger than Gemma ever thought it could, can she separate the pair before it's too late?

I really enjoyed this movie. Even though I was excited to see it, it was actually better than I thought it would be.

The film's starting point, someone unexpectedly taking a child in, is somewhat unoriginal, but because the film's overall premise is so original, it works.

There was a lot of backstory before we got to what the audience wanted to see. And while looking back I am glad that we got to understand the story before jumping in, at the time I just wanted to get into the action.

Gemma is one of the most unlikable protagonists I've seen, especially in the first half of the film. Even when bad things started happening, I found myself favouring M3GAN over her, which was a really weird (but fun) space to be in.

The idea of the film is scarier than the film actually is. 

This was a really well-written, interesting story. It was entertaining, funny, and a lot better than expected.

Overall I really enjoyed this film, and I'd definitely recommend it, even if you're not a big horror fan.

7.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List