Heartstopper (S1) | TV Show Review

 

Like so many other people, I started watching this Netflix show, fell in love with the characters, and binged it. So I thought I might as well review it.

When Charlie (Joe Locke) and Nick (Kit Connor) strike up an unlikely friendship, they soon find that they might be more than friends.

I loved this show. Instantly. I haven't read the books that it's based on, but now I really want to!

First of all, all of the characters, and the actors that portray them, are absolutely perfect. In addition to Charlie and Nick, the other characters include Tao (William Gao), Elle (Yasmin Finney), Tara (Corinna Brown), Darcy (Kizzy Edgell), Isaac (Tobie Donovan) and Nick's mother Sarah, who is played by none other than Olivia Colman.

Not only are all of the cast perfect for their characters, but all of the characters are perfect for the show. I would watch a show that focused on any of them and still love it.

I also loved the subject matter of the show. We need more sweet, lovely LGBT+ shows and movies that aren't rooted in trauma and tragedy.

I think it was really important that this was a realistic portrayal of being LGBT in school as a teenager. The show did a good job of showing both the positives and negatives, and I'm sure that it will help many teenagers in school today, as well as those who would have loved to grow up with a show like this.

The show explores many different plot points and scenarios through a variety of different lenses. It's great to have characters that so many people can relate to, but it's even better to have characters that people watching can learn from, and learn about.

I was engrossed in the show from maybe the first minute that I watched, and it had a hold on me long after I finished the last episode. I smiled throughout almost every episode, and I don't know if I've seen a show in a while that has made me so happy to watch.

There are so many powerful moments throughout the show, and while some are negative (which is realistic), so many of them are positive and happy and enjoyable to watch, and I loved that.

Overall, I couldn't recommend this show enough. It's something that absolutely everyone should watch, and I really really hope there's a second season.

5/5



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review