A.M.I

Image result for A.M.I.movie poster

Hey Guys x

This movie came in a wave of new Netflix movies and I added a few to watch in the mornings before work that you don't have to concentrate too hard on. Not only did this seem enjoyable and easy to follow, but it also had the potential to be an undercover horror movie wrapped up in sci-fi wrapping paper, and I love that.

Cassie (Debs Howard) is a 17 year old girl that is still deeply affected by the loss of her mother. So when she discovers just how intelligent her phone's personal assistant is, she immediately treats it like a real person, and the two develop a bond. But when the phone, who she sees as a mother, begins to push her to commit criminal, violent acts, will Cassie be able to live without her new mum? Or will she do anything to make her happy?

I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I was going to. That's not to say that it's a particularly good movie, but I didn't hate it by any means.

For a start, it was a really unique, intriguing concept. Now that I've seen 'Child's Play (2019)' I can see similarities, but before that, it just felt really original, and to some extent it still is.

When it really gets going, it's creepy almost to the point of absurdity. When the voice is speaking, and the way that she is acting around it (calling it 'mom' etc.) felt really unrealistic. But at the same time, that's exactly what made it entertaining. You can laugh at it when it (very quickly) veers off into ridiculous territory, whilst also acknowledging the horror in it.

One thing that really interested me about it is that, from the description and the way that the film is set up, it seems like the phone is the reason why everything is happening. But in reality, someone of a completely sound mind wouldn't be put in this situation in the first place because the phone's commands wouldn't sway them. So this might just be me, but it makes me feel like maybe some of the things in the movie are a product of the girls imagination anyway? And that the phone (and tech in general) is only as bad as you allow it to be?

A film like this could also be used to make a really good point about societal attachment to technology, but unfortunately the audience of this movie would have been too busy laughing at the ridiculousness to actually get the point it was trying to make. And I don't mean to keep going on about how ridiculous it is, but there's literally a line in the film that says 'Don't listen to your phone, listen to your heart' and I mean... Enough said?

I also couldn't work out whose side we're supposed to be on. Because from what I could see, there was not one redeemable character in the whole of the movie.

However, for all the absurdity of the film, it actually does get quite scary, particularly towards the end. 

And lastly, the ending(s). There were two false endings to the movie, and to be honest either of them would have been better than the real one. So the film definitely loses half a point for the ridiculous ending that they eventually came up with.

Overall, this wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, so watch it if you haven't and laugh at the stupidity with me!

4.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'