The Roommate | Film Review

Image result for the roommate



Hey Guys x

So, today's review is on, as you can see, The Roommate.

The first thing I have to say is that, this film's reviews aren't really good. It only has a 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I think that's really unfair, so I'm giving my honest and unbiased review in spite of the criticism.

This film is about a girl called Sara who stars college away from home. There she finds a boyfriend, makes friends, and meets her roommate Rebecca, who seems like a genuinely nice girl, if a bit introverted. However, as time goes on, Rebecca starts to become more and more controlling of Sara, getting annoyed when she stays out late and wearing her things without permission. Is Rebecca just overstepping the boundaries of being a roommate, or is there something seriously wrong with her?

What drew me to the film was the cast. It stars Minka Kelly, Leighton Meester (Blair from Gossip Girl), Cam Gigandet (James from Twilight), Aly Michalka (from Disney), Kat Graham (Bonnie from The Vampire Diaries), Nina Dobrev (Elena/Katherine from The Vampire Diaries) and Matt Lanter (Liam from 90210), so as you can see, I had huge incentives to watch this!

However, I was surprised by how much I liked it. It for sure reminded me of 'Single White Female', which is a classic great thriller/horror, and this wasn't as good, but still an enjoyable watch.

I'm almost finished season 5 of Gossip Girl, so it was nice to see Leighton Meester in a different role, even if that role was the role of Rebecca who was terrifying!

Some parts of the film genuinely left me at the edge of my seat, mainly because Rebecca was making no secret of her love for Sara and Sara was being a bit of an idiot about it. If that was me, I would have asked for a new roommate from like the third day.

Something that I didn't like was how little the supporting characters were actually used, particularly Nina Dobrev and Matt Lanter. They both had back stories that intertwined with either Sara or Rebecca and it would have been really interesting to explore these more.

Overall, don't be put off by the negative reviews. I enjoyed it before knowing what review sites thought of it.

Lou xx

Comments

  1. omg this is amazing! I love this! thanks for sharing my lovely :)

    jadieegosh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

April Favourites | 2015