Shutter Island | Film Review

Image result for shutter island poster

Hey Guys x

I watched this yesterday afternoon and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! It's quite an old film, it came out in 2010, so if you wanted to see it, you probably have.

Nevertheless, I only saw it for the first time yesterday, and I'll save what I think of it for after I give you a brief description.

This film is about a U.S Marshal called Teddy Daniels, who is sent a mental asylum on Shutter Island (along with his new partner Chuck) to find a girl who has been reported missing from the asylum. However, Daniels begins to think that there is something seriously wrong with everything about Shutter Island. The patients act weird, the wardens withhold information, and just what is happening at that lighthouse? In addition, everyone there seems to be keeping a secret to the only question that Daniels really wants to know - where are they keeping the man that killed Daniels' wife?

I thought this film was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, I thought it was such a good movie, definitely the kind that you have to watch twice, which I can't wait to do!

Not that it's like this in any way, but the feeling I get when I talk about it is the same feeling that I get when I talk about 'The Departed', they're both such freaking incredible films! It's the Scorsese effect, of course it is!

The two main characters are played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo, who were both amazing! I was fans of both of theirs anyway (Ruffalo more than Leo) but they both blew me away with this one, and I do think that it was their acting, as well as the acting of everyone else in the film, especially the people in the backgrounds of shots, that made this film what it was.

I hardly mention soundtracks or music when I'm writing about films that aren't musicals, but it has to be mentioned for this film. The soundtrack, each second of music in the film has a purpose. Whether to create tension, or to subtly give away plot details, it has a reason and I really love that.

Now, I have to mention, without spoiling anything, the twist. Without a doubt the best twist that I've seen in a movie since Get Out, it might even have been better than Get Out's twist. I absolutely love twists in movies, they inspire me to be a filmmaker more than anything else, and I can't get over this one. It definitely felt a bit like the film 'The Amityville Asylum' which had similar tones, but I feel like I was the only person who talks about that film because I have a love for it that I don't even understand myself, particularly because I don't think it was a good movie! But there were some definite similarities.

Anyway, I've spent the last few hours watching all these theories and explanations and 'ten things you missed...' videos from YouTube to try and understand all the subtle nuances that Scorsese included in the film, and if I keep talking about it I'll definitely spoil something!

Thank you for reading.

Have you seen this? Comment below!

Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

If I Stay | Film Review