Sex Education (S1&2) | TV Show Review

I started watching this show just over three weeks ago, and I've just started re-watching it. So I feel like now is the best time to review it - especially because I have no idea when Season 3 is coming out.

Having a mum who's a sex therapist hasn't made 16-year-old Otis Milburn's (Asa Butterfield) life easy - especially because he's so socially, and sexually, awkward. But when it is discovered that his mum's career has made him an unlikely sexpert, he teams up with his classmate, Maeve Wiley (Emma Mackey) to provide the students of Moordale with much-needed sex advice. 

It would be impossible to get across in words how good this show is, but I'm going to try anyway!

Okay, so my initial reason for wanting to watch the show was seeing one of the scenes from Season 2 on YouTube. I didn't really know what the show was about, but that 1 minute clip was completely hilarious, so I thought that I'd watch the first two episodes and see if I liked them.

I have a thing about pilot episodes of shows. I can never just watch the pilot, because they tend to be so drastically different to what the rest of the show ends up being. So I never judge a show on its pilot.

However, the pilot episode of this show is incredible. I was hooked from the first two minutes! It was hilarious and real and genuinely interesting, but it also gave the audience a taste of all of these characters in a way that makes it impossible for you not to want to go back for more. And this is the same in every episode.

One of the things that I really enjoyed about the show was the way that it handles sex and sex-related issues. Nothing is taboo, nothing is judged. Everyone has their own issues, and it's great to see the way that these issues are tackled.

But putting sex aside, there are so many issues that the show deals with. These characters deal with issues such as absent parents, overbearing parents, homophobia, sexuality, sexual assault, self-harm, abortion, and that's only in 16 episodes! But it deals with these issues without stigma, and in such a delicate, mature way, with equal humour to drama, that it also makes you think about your own life regarding these issues. I know that I've definitely had a lot of changing thoughts about my life as a result of this show - and I'm 8 years older than the characters!

One of my absolute favourite things about the show is the friendships that are made. Because as different as all of these characters are, as school does, they are all brought together, and form really amazing relationships. My favourite is the friendship between Otis and Eric (Ncuti Gatwa) - the actors' chemistry is amazing, but their friendship is so pure and unconditional. Despite the plethora of differences between them, their friendship is the heart of the show - more than any potential relationship.

Season 2, while different, it just as good as Season 1. We see these characters that we've fallen in love with start to mature, to become so much more than they were in the first season. The characters who had it all together start to fall apart, and we're introduced to new characters that we love just as much as the first ones. Everyone has a story to tell.

Overall, this became my favourite show after the first episode, and it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen. Even though there are some things that I'd change about the second season in particular, I will be waiting with baited breath for the third season - and then I'll be back here to review it!

4.5/5 - I hope Season 3 is as good as the first two!  



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'