July Favourites | 2019

Hey Guys x

This is a very late Favourites, but let's get into it anyway!

Favourite Movie: Destroyer
Image result for destroyer movie poster

My review of this was supposed to go up this week, but I bumped it for a more recent film instead, which means that you'll definitely be getting it next week, so I can't say much about it here. But if you get the chance to watch this movie - watch it!

Favourite TV Show (1): Orange Is The New Black
Image result for orange is the new black poster season 7

I am never up to date with shows. All the shows that I watch have either been over for years, I'm really behind on them, or I started getting up to date and then they got cancelled (Proven Innocent, Speechless etc.). Orange Is The New Black is one of only about two or three shows that I can say I keep up with it and watch it as soon as I can once it's released. And given that this was the final season, obviously I couldn't not watch it. And while some of the past seasons haven't been the best, this last one definitely did not disappoint. Every character had developments, most characters got some really great story-lines, and as much as I think that this was the right time for the show to end, I really hate that it's over!

Favourite TV Show (2): I Am The Night
Image result for I am the night poster

Chris Pine is in this show, so of course I was going to watch it. Unfortunately, being that we don't get TNT in the UK, it took me a while.
It's inspired by true events, and is about a woman called Fauna Hodel (India Eisley), who discovers that she was adopted at birth. However, her search for her true family leads her to Jay Singletary (Chris Pine) who is also looking for her true family, but for an entirely different, deeply sinister reason.
I won't say any more than that in case you have no idea what it's about, because I don't want to spoil anything, but I was really pleasantly surprised with this show. As someone who studied the noir genre in both film and novels, this is exactly what I wanted a noir-based TV show to be, and I really wish it wasn't a limited series!

Favourite Song (1): Glory

I haven't seen the film Selma, but I am absolutely obsessed with this song from it. It won the Oscar for Best Original Song in 2015 and it's no secret why. Not only is it a beautiful song (by John Legend ft. Common), but the message that it leaves behind is such an important one.

Favourite Song (2): Someone You Loved

I have no idea how I'm so late to Lewis Capaldi, but his voice is completely incredible! He's the kind of person that could sing any song and make it sound amazing, so the fact that he's singing an amazingly written song on top of having an amazing voice is just the icing on the cake. Listen to this song if you haven't yet!

Favourite Actor (1): Sebastian Stan
Image result for sebastian stan

A lot of my love for Sebastian, apart from his work in the Marvel movies, is the fact that he is so much more than his character, Bucky. He's one of the most underrated actors right now because he's doing so much but is only really appreciated for Marvel. Any other actor who had starred in movies such as I, Tonya, Destroyer, The Bronze, Logan Lucky, The Martian and Gone (to name a few) would get the credit that Sebastian clearly deserves for being an amazing actor, both inside and outside the MCU.

Favourite Actor(s) (2): The OITNB Cast
Image result for orange is the new black cast

I've already said that I'm obsessed with the show, and a huge part of that is because of this cast. Not only are they all completely amazing as their characters and as people in their own right, but it's been really great to see some of them step behind the camera on this final season of the show. It just proves how invested in these characters and stories they all are, and it's really great to see the actors who play your favourite characters love their show as much as you do.

What were your July Favourites?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

One Day | TV Show Review

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'