Spider-Man: Homecoming | Film Review

Image result for spider man homecoming


Hey Guys x

As you can tell, today's post is another movie review.

If you read my blog, you know I'm a huge fan of comic book movies, particularly those within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as this film is. However, my review will be completely unbiased, and only based on what I thought about this particular film.

The film takes place right after (and technically during) the events of Captain America: Civil War (the last MCU movie to feature Spider-man). Peter Parker has helped Tony Stark fight against Captain America and now he's gone back to his normal life, just waiting for a call from Stark or Happy Hogan, telling him when the next mission will take place. He waits... and waits... and waits. However, one night, Peter stumbles upon something he shouldn't have, and he realises that, no matter what Stark tells him, he can't just walk away. What's the point of having the suit if he can't change the world? But when things get more and more out of hand, will Peter be able to walk away unharmed? Or was giving him the suit a mistake?

I loved this film!

I don't have the love of Spider-Man that comes from being obsessed with the movies that came before this one, so I didn't know if I'd be able to connect to it or not. I liked Spidey in Civil War, but I had no idea if I'd like an 'origin story'or sorts.

Thankfully, this wasn't an origin story. I am sick of origin stories. I enjoy seeing what the characters get up to, but I'm done with finding out how they got their powers or whatever (however, with characters that I completely don't know, like Captain Marvel, it might be necessary) - everyone knows the origin of Spider-Man, so it doesn't need to be explained again and I'm so glad that they didn't.

Now I have to talk about Tom Holland, who plays Spidey/Peter Parker. I don't know if the word 'amazing' is big enough to describe his performance but, honestly, he's amazing! I've been a fan of his since Civil War and I think he did a fantastic job with this film. What spoke to me, both through watching his performance and watching interviews with him about the film, was how excited and enthusiastic he was about this. It is so nice and refreshing when you see someone so excited about this role that they've taken on, and I feel like this is something that you see a lot with comic book movies - because the characters have their own presence before the actors take them on. I'm so glad that Tom got this role, I honestly can't imagine anyone doing it as well as he did.

And then there's the rest of the cast. This is the most diverse comic-book movie (and probably one of the most diverse movies in general) that I've ever seen, and I thought it was amazing. It's like the real world, going to a real school where there's students of all colours and backgrounds. It was refreshing to see diversity casually, rather than for the sake of diversity (which I don't believe they did) and that made me love the film even more than I would have done anyway.

It's a funny film that has a lot of depth and seriousness. There are so many more elements than just 15-year-old gets powers, and having Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the film was just an added bonus of hilarity. 

They made this film well, and I'd really encourage everyone to see it, whether fans of Marvel/the MCU or not.

Thank you for reading!

Do you like comic-book movies?

Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List