Everything Happens For a Reason?

Image result for the adjustment bureau

Hey Guys x

If you haven't seen this movie, I'll give it a little bit of an explanation, but you really should watch it, it's amazing!

Anyway, the main premise of the movie is that there are people who control our 'fate'. They have us all on a specific plan and do their best to keep us on route, such as making us spill coffee on our shirt so that we're 5 minutes late for work, or making someone call us at the exact moment they do.

I really liked the idea of this. When I was watching the film the other day, I got to thinking about what that would mean if it was real, and how much I'd like to know about it.

I think that anyone who's ever said 'Everything happens for a reason' believes in this in some form, whether it's being done by a holy figure or not, they believe that everyone's life has a plan.

I think I believe that too, to an extent. Like, if I just miss a bus or something, I always think that 'well, I obviously wasn't meant to get on that bus', but at the same time, we made 100 completely mundane decisions a day that seemingly have no consequences - do these also get decided for us.

Like, I've not had breakfast yet today and it's 10.12. Will the course of my life change if I decide to wait a bit longer and have lunch, rather than finding something to eat now?

Or, did my decision to skip uni last week change something in the course of my life? Will I fail my exams now? Will I fail to get a job this time next year?

It's a really weird thing to think about. I mean, I know that we'll probably never know the answers to these questions, but it does make going through life a bit easier if you think that every decision you make has already been decided for you. It kind of takes some of the pressure off!

But at the same time, there's also the possibility that none of our decisions have been made. That nothing happens for a reason, everything is down to chance and we have eternal free will.

And to be honest, that's scary as shit!

I'm 20 and have no idea how to be a 20 year old - how could someone just give me the keys to my life? Like 'here you go, you're your own problem now' - I don't want to be my own problem!

Anyway, that's just some random thoughts about one of my favourite movies ever!

Thank you for reading.

What do you think? Does everything happen for a reason?

Lou xx

Comments

  1. I found myself watching this a couple of weeks ago on tv and couldn't stop watching, it was so interesting! I completely understand how you feel as I'm 20 too, I'm just glad someone else feels the same! It's so strange to suddenly have to be an adult after having to not make many of your own decisions for so many years!

    Nicole xx
    http://fashionsboudoir.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, it's good to know I'm not alone in this! xx

      Delete
  2. honestly...this is an amazing movie. lollz. With your question, it honestly does feel "safer" in a way. As my thought - or "religion" as they say - we have two paths. not just the good, or the bad, but in way we do things. anything can change at any second, but i guess it's what we do at that time. very "interlegtuel" (spelling!!? - intellectual) in a way. lollz. but, huff. thoughts. haha. take care, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List