Blogmas Day 2: My View On... Christmas

Hey Guys!

I have not always been the biggest fan of Christmas.

To be honest, apart from the presents, I wasn't really interested in Christmas. I didn't really understand why everyone found it such an enjoyable time, and was never excited for it.

However, over the past year or so, my views have changed.

One thing I have always enjoyed, was buying presents for other people. I mean, I do enjoy getting presents (who doesn't?) but giving presents is also great.

My favourite way to get presents for people is either when I know that they want something that no one else will get them, or when I have a really creative idea that I know no one else has thought of. I think unique presents with a lot of thought in them are the best type of presents.

In the past, Christmas used to be all about religion. People felt that you could only celebrate Christmas if you were a strong Christian (or Catholic) because it's about the birth of Jesus. I don't agree with this.

I'm not particularly religious, so I don't really see Christmas as a particularly religious time, and in a way, I don't think it should be. I think the thing that I love the most about Christmas is the fact that people make a real effort to travel far and wide to spend as much time as possible with their families, regardless of religion.

The dictionary definition of Christmas is: the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth, held on 25 December in the Western Church, but this is not strictly true.

For example, if you are religious and celebrate Christmas, then going to church might be an integral part of 25th of December for you.

But I think that opening presents in the morning and eating Turkey (or a vegetarian equivalent) are just as traditional in today's society as going to Church, and I think this is really important.

Another thing I have been wondering about Christmas is, when are you too old to get presents from extended family?

I think, when I turned 17, my extended family had no idea what to get me, so most of them had the same idea: ITunes vouchers.

And when I say most of them, I mean a lot! This month is a year since last Christmas and I still have around £40 in iTunes vouchers that I haven't managed to spend because everyone had the same idea.

But when you turn 18, are you too old to get presents? This is something that I am genuinely interested in your opinions of because I don't think you are!

As you can tell, this was one of my more rambly posts so I hope you enjoyed reading it!

It's 23 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas Day 3!

Comments

  1. Love this

    check out my blogmas post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Christmas shouldn't be defined by religion as over the years every family has created their own version of Christmas and their own way to celebrate it. By the way I love your "rambly posts". Check out my blogmas posts xx professionaldaydreamerx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love your blogmas posts too xx

      Delete
  3. I love this! and no, I don't think you're ever too old to receive presents ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion