2019 Favourites!

Hey Guys x

I haven't done a Favourites post since August, and a big part of that had to do with the fact that only having one or two favourites a month doesn't really qualify for a full post - so I thought I'd save up my individual favourites and put them all into one big end-of-the-year post. And here it is!

Favourite Movie (1): Joker
Image result for joker movie poster

This is my favourite film of the year without a doubt. I've already reviewed it, which you can read HERE, and I stand by everything I said in that review. It's a really smart, incredibly well-made movie and I hope it wins a plethora of awards in the new year because it deserves them all.

(2): Avengers: Endgame
Image result for avengers endgame poster

You can read my review of this HERE, but this was hardly a surprise. This is a film that was 10 years and 21 films in the making, and for me it absolutely lived up to the hype that it created.

(3): The Star Wars Saga
Image result for star wars poster

Read my review of the first 8 movies HERE and my review of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker HERE. Now, while The Rise of Skywalker isn't particularly high on my list of Star Wars movies, I only watched all 9 of them for the first time this year, and they had a bigger impact on me than I could have imagined. And I can't wait to watch them all again - even the ones that weren't great.

(4): The Perfection
Image result for the perfection poster

Read my review of this HERE. But for me, this was the surprise of the year. I had no idea what to expect going into it, and no idea how to take it until about halfway through when it suddenly got brilliant. If you haven't seen this film yet, go and watch it now (and stick with it, because it's weird for a while). Also, don't watch the trailer!

(5): Greta
Image result for Greta poster

You can read my review of this HERE, and like the Perfection, it was another surprise because I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about. It's also really underrated and it feels like not a lot of people have seen it (which is a shame because it's amazing), and more people need to watch it!

(6): Five Feet Apart
Image result for five feet apart poster

Read my review HERE. This is the last film in this post and it came to me at the last moment because I saw it so long ago that I forgot all about it! But this is a film that I loved so much that I bought the book and read it instantly (and also loved). This recently got added to Netflix, so please go watch it because it's a beautiful, tragic love story.

Favourite TV Show (1): Elite
Image result for Elite poster

This is the only show that I'm putting on this list that I didn't start watching this year, but I had to include it because, just like last year, it's absolutely one of the best shows I've watched. I ended up re-watching the first season when the second came out so I could binge them one after the other, and this whole show is on a different level from so many other shows on right now. I can't recommend it enough.

(2): Proven Innocent
Image result for proven innocent poster

If Elite is the best show that I've watched from last year to this year, Proven Innocent is the best show I've watched this year - period. I'm really annoyed that it didn't get renewed for a second season, because it really deserved one!

(3): You

Image result for you season 1 poster

Because of the way that both seasons of 'You' came out, I've spent the beginning and the end of 2019 watching them - they've book-ended my year and I've loved that because it's such a good show. Everybody's talking about it, but I'm not going to spoil anything, so get on Netflix and binge both seasons of this amazing show!

(4): Speechless
Image result for Speechless poster

This is such an underrated sitcom, but it's one of the rare ones that only got better the further into it you got, and it's a shame that it didn't get a few more seasons. Not only was it hilarious, but it also felt really important and representative.

Favourite Song (1): Someone You Loved

My music tastes haven't changed from last year to this, so a lot of my favourite songs have stayed the same, but one that I've been listening to over and over and over again is this one, by Lewis Capaldi. I'm sure everyone's heard this so I don't need to go on about it.

(2): The Last Five Years Soundtrack
Image result for the last five years

This is another film that I saw for the first time this year, and while I didn't fall in love with the film itself, I did fall in love with the music from it. Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan have amazing voices, and they bring so much life to these characters even when you're just listening to their voices.

(3): Speechless

The live action version of Aladdin wasn't my favourite film of the year by any standard, but I really loved the original song that they created for the film, 'Speechless'. Naomi Scott sang it really well, but there's also been a lot of amazing covers of the song that are equally as amazing!

Favourite Game: Sims 4
Image result for sims 4 university poster

This is a late favourite as I only got this game this month, but it's one of the best expansion packs that the makers of Sims have come out with. And what I love about these games is that all of the expansion packs bleed into each other. It gets to the point where not having some is fine, but when you eventually have all of the packs, your game is enhanced to the point where you really can't stop playing it - and that's where I am right now!

Favourite Actor (1): Adam Driver
Image result for adam driver

I've been talking about Adam on and off throughout the year because he's made some amazing movies - from BlacKkKlansman at the beginning of the year, to Marriage Story, The Report and Star Wars at the end of the year. He's been the best part of most of these movies and I can't wait to see what he does next year. Also I can't wait to see him get his second Oscar nomination for Marriage Story, which is just another thing that he was amazing in!

(2): Tessa Thompson
Image result for tessa thompson

I know I put her in as one of my favourites last year, but I love her, so I really had no choice. Tessa's such a constant in the way that, a bit like Adam, even if what she's in isn't great (which is rare), she's always the best part of it. She's an amazing actress, and I can't wait to see what she does in 2020!

(3): Joaquin Phoenix
Image result for joaquin phoenix

Yes, this is widely because of Joker, which inspired me to watch a lot of other films in Joaquin's filmography. I expect that both him and Adam will be nominated for 'best actor' for their respective 2019 masterpieces, and as much as I love Adam, Joaquin's performance as Arthur Fleck was incredible, and I'd really like him to win some massive awards for it.

(4): Zendaya
Image result for zendaya

Zendaya has been having an amazing year. I watched the entirety of her show 'Euphoria', and while I didn't love the show (or even like it that much, to be honest) she was amazing in it, and it really showed off what she can do as an actress. I'd love to see her in more dramatic roles in 2020!

(5): Jake Gyllenhaal
Image result for jake gyllenhaal

And last but not least, Jake Gyllenhaal. Through watching Jake's filmography at the beginning of this year, I have seen some amazing movies. He's well known to be a great dramatic actor, but he's also incredibly underrated as a comedic actor, which he does really well (in films such as Okja, Velvet Buzzsaw (was that supposed to be comedic?) and to an extent, Spider-Man: Far From Home). He's incredibly versatile, and I've not seen one of his films that is objectively bad.

So there's 2019 in Favourites - I can't wait to see what I'm gonna love in 2020!

What were your 2019 favourites?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List