Christmas Lodge | Blogmas Day 24

Image result for christmas lodge

Hey Guys x

Happy Christmas Eve!

So this is the film that's ending Blogmas. To be honest, I ended up watching so many Christmas films that I didn't realise that this would be the last one until I actually checked the amount of reviews I'd written against the dates. So this may not be the best film to end on, but I'm really glad that I didn't dislike it as much as some of the others I've written!

Mary (Erin Karpluk) decides to restore the lodge that she and her family spent a lot of time in growing up. But along the way, she discovers a love that she never expected to find.

I'm kind of glad that I'm ending Blogmas on this one. While it isn't the most original Christmas film, it has a really nice feel that a lot of the others didn't have. Yes she found love, but to this girl the most important thing was her family, and they all helped her to restore this lodge. For some reason, her family being so involved made the film feel really sweet and Christmassy.

It takes a bit of time to get to the point of the film, but when you eventually do, the premise is a really sweet one, and that keeps you invested.

It very much follows the trope of the main female protagonist starting the film with a boyfriend that she's obviously not going to end up with. Why do so many Christmas movies do this? What's wrong with the main protagonist starting the film single?

The 'I love you' declaration comes way too early. It makes sense for the film, and actually makes everything feel more realistic than your average Christmas movie, but it also feels really jarring.

In a way, you're not watching this film for the characters, but for the story in and of itself.

Overall, this movie is cliche, but also really lovely, cute, and a great way to end Blogmas.

5/10 - Originality
6/10 - Christmas Spirit
5/10 - Christmas Music

Merry Christmas for tomorrow!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review