My Favorite Christmas Melody | Blogmas Day 16

 

It's Blogmas day 16!

I always like to have a couple of musical Christmas movies on the list for Blogmas, and this one looked quite musical, so I added it straight away!

Abby (Mya), once an aspiring singer-songwriter, now writes jingles. While home for the holidays, Abby helps a local music teacher put on a show to save the school's arts programme.

I didn't like this as much as I wanted to - and it definitely wasn't as musical as I thought it would be.

It took me a while to connect with the characters, and even when I started liking them more, I never felt like I really knew them.

The story itself isn't particularly engaging. I was interested in one aspect of the plot, regarding Abby and a song she wrote, but this wasn't explored in great detail. Which is unfortunate as it was more interesting than the main story.

It was enjoyable enough, but nothing really happened. The events were all quite run-of-the-mill.

The main couple weren't the most likeable characters, so while they were cute together, I didn't really care about them. There was also a lack of chemistry between the pair.

The misunderstanding/miscommunication trope was exhausting. I haven't encountered it too much this Blogmas, but it's probably my least favourite way of creating conflict in the movie.

There were a few good songs, but a lot of the time these songs consisted of snippets of someone singing rather than the actual full-length songs.

Overall, this wasn't my favourite, and there are definitely better music-based Christmas movies out there.


Title - 4/10

Originality - 5/10

Christmas spirit - 5/10

Christmas music - 7/10


It's 9 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 17!



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List