A Christmas Dance Reunion | Blogmas Day 17

 

It’s Blogmas day 17!

This was probably my most highly anticipated film of Blogmas (because yes, I was a huge High School Musical fan back in the day). I thought I would miss it because it premiered in America before the UK, but fortunately, it came out in the UK a couple of weeks ago.    

Childhood dance partners Lucy (Monique Coleman) and Barrett (Corbin Bleu) reunite to re-create a beloved Christmas tradition in their hometown.

I really enjoyed this film.

The characters have great chemistry. It may be because I had already seen them act together (albeit more than a decade ago), but they seemed very natural together, and like an obvious pairing for a romantic movie. They are a cute pair, and it is easy to root for them.

Having said that, one problem that I had with the characters was that they didn't ever feel like they existed outside of this world that was created for them. They never felt like they could be real people – I would have liked to believe that this film was a small part of their lives, rather than the entirety of them.

The story itself isn't that interesting. But I watched and enjoyed it solely for the characters, and I’m fine with that!

Watching this, I was surprised that more rom-coms (Christmas or otherwise) don't revolve around dancing, considering how intimate it is. It seems like the perfect environment to cause people to fall in love.

There is no real indication of a third-act conflict for a really long time, but when there is, the conflict is resolved in about three seconds. It felt a bit unnecessary and took away from the rest of the story, but at least it wasn’t the usual misunderstanding!

The final dances are adorable, and definitely made the film worth watching.

Overall, this is a cute Christmas movie. It’s not the most unique or interesting, but definitely worth watching.


Originality – 4/10

Christmas Spirit  - 6/10

Christmas Music – 3/10


It's 8 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 18!



Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review