12 Dates of Christmas | Blogmas Day 18


It’s Blogmas day 18!

This is a film that I found on Disney+. Not only did it look cute, but it added a time-loop film to my Blogmas list, which I didn't have previously, so I definitely wanted to include it.

After a bad blind date on Christmas Eve, Kate (Amy Smart) finds herself reliving the day over and over again.

I quite like the concept of the film. You want to see how Kate develops, and you want to know how her life will change as a result of the loop.

The dialogue in the film isn't great, and I found myself getting distracted by it a few times. There were a few instances where the characters just didn't sound like real people.

This film is definitely driven by plot rather than character, and because of this, the characters felt a bit underdeveloped, and I never really warmed to them.

However, when I actually did get to know the characters, I think it ended up having the opposite effect than was intended, because I really didn't like Kate. She was selfish, not particularly interesting, and her blind date Miles (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) could have done a lot better than her.

They’re definitely not a couple who would last in the real world.

The time loop in itself is fine. I liked the fact that Kate figured out the situation quite quickly and just kind of went with it, but the amount of days that time looped for made the film a bit boring, and definitely repetitive. And in addition to this, it looped too many times before Kate actually made any meaningful changes to her life, or learnt anything.

And the thing that was most annoying about the entire film is that there was no reason or explanation for why the time-loop started, and there’s no real reason why it stops. It was just there, she got the guy, and then it ended. I never felt like Kate made any fundamental changes that warranted the end of the loop.

Overall, there are definitely better Christmas movies out there – I wouldn't go for this one until you’ve seen some of the better ones.


Originality – 5/10

Christmas Spirit - 2/10

Chrismas Music – 1/10


It's 7 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 19!



Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion