Girl Talk: The Thigh-Gap Rant

It may sound weird, but I love ranting, and I don't think I do it very much on this blog. So here comes a rant!

Many people measure their fitness/beauty/healthiness/attractiveness on whether or not they have a thigh-gap. As well as this, many people try to lose weight or exercise more because they want to have a thigh-gap, and they're worried because they don't.

First of all, a thigh-gap is a measure of none of these things.

With fitness and healthiness, a thigh-gap doesn't necessarily mean you're skinny. Whether you have a thigh-gap or not depends on your body shape. Someone who is seen as really slim may not have a thigh-gap, and someone bigger than them may have one. Of course, the amount of fat or muscle on your thighs is still a contributing factor, but it doesn't determine your health.

The thigh-gap debate (should you or shouldn't you have one?) is something that personally, I used to be very involved in. I used to want a thigh-gap (I don't have one). This is mainly because, the girls in my school who were seen as the prettiest girls in my year, had thigh-gaps. This actually makes me laugh now. Why is beauty, to some people, determined by whether or not there is a space between their legs? It sounds silly, and that's because it is. Beauty is determined by the most minimal and silly things, and all this does is make people feel  bad about themselves.

For example, I remember when everyone wanted to have a beauty spot, either on their upper lip or by their eye on their face. I never understood this trend, and I know that many celebrities used to draw these beauty spots on to make themselves look better. I have one of these beauty spots next to my left eye and I never understood the trend with having one. It just doesn't make sense to me.

 
I post quotes like the one above a lot. I haven't in a long time but I thought this was the post to do it again.
 
I fully understand that it's hard to believe that we're pretty on the inside if we don't believe that we're pretty on the outside. But having a thigh-gap doesn't mean that we are pretty on the outside, it means that we are seen a thin.
 
This is something else that I find weird. Being thin is seen as the desirable body image, and most people aspire towards that. And it isn't wrong - it's generally known that if you're at the average weight for your size, you may be healthier.
 
But if you're smaller than the average size, you're beautiful. If you're bigger than the average size, you're beautiful. A thigh-gap or a few less or more numbers on the scale doesn't determine your beauty.
 
To believe you're beautiful on the outside, you have to believe you're beautiful on the inside. And I can guarantee that you are.
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below your favourite feature of yourself!

Comments

  1. I love the quote you used, such a lovely post I agree with all your points! It's not a measurement of health it's just a persons body shape! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! beauty is about accepting yourself as a person and not caring how other people want you to be. beauty, like you say, is about having a beautiful mind and soul.

    ~Katy Summers (TeenageBlogger)

    Splashofhiddenhapppiness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with this post- weight or body shape doesn't determine who you are as a person.

    Holly Olivia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't. Thank you xx

      louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

One Day | TV Show Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'