Girl Talk: All About That Bass

 
 
First of all, sorry that this is going up on a Saturday rather than a Friday, but yesterday I posted my 'November Favourites', which always goes up on the 28th.
 
If you haven't heard this song, listen to it first because otherwise this post won't make sense at all.
 
This song has caused a bit of controversy. Some people say that it is skinny-shaming, because she uses phrases such as 'Skinny Bitches', which I don't personally like. But I don't think the song is skinny-shaming.
 
There are a lot of ways that this song promotes a healthy body image. For example, when it says: 'Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top', which is my favourite line because it's not talking about smaller or bigger people in particular, it's saying that everyone is perfect.
 
I know that on this blog, I purposely don't fit into any categories so that I am able to post what I want without being limited, but I think that a few of my posts are 'body confidence' or confidence in general posts, which makes me happy because this is something that I love to promote. Everyone is a different shape, and not everyone is the same size.
 
I can honestly say that, in the last year or so, I have not acted upon my first judgement of somebody. Obviously I make judgements, we all do. I don't think you can be human if you don't have a first impression of someone that you meet, this is completely natural.
 
A line that I don't particularly like in the song is 'I won't be no stick figure silicone Barbie doll', only because I don't think most people want to be a 'Barbie doll'. Even if someone is slimmer than a lot of people, being called a 'Barbie doll' could still be really offensive. I understand the point of the reference in the song, and I think it goes well with the rhythm of the song, but I can understand why people might find that line a bit offensive.
 
One thing that struck me about the phrase 'skinny shaming' was when Gemma Collins put this sign in the window of her boutique:
 

She got a lot of abuse from this, and I think it was really unfair. I mean, personally, I wouldn't put that sign in the window of any shop that I own, but I think it's the same as a lot of other shops. For example, in the UK, I won't name any shops, but if a shop only goes up to a size 12, then it's basically saying 'If you're bigger than our ideal size, you can't buy anything here' which I also don't like.
 
The only thing I'll say is, things like this sign and the song should only be used to promote a healthy body image. And the best video to portray this is Louise's (Sprinkle Of Glitter) Autumn Lookbook.
 
 
I just think Louise is amazing at promoting a healthy body image. She used the song in the best way and she is a huge inspiration.
 
To be honest, I don't really know where I was going with this post, I just blurted out what was in my head. Try it the next time you blog. Don't have a plan, just blurt!
 
I felt like I should write a 'Girl Talk' post because this will be the last one until (earliest) late December, or (latest) 2015!
 
As most of you guys probably know, Blogmas starts on Monday, and I know a lot of people who are doing it so use it as a time to get to know a lot of new bloggers!
 
The next post I write will be Blogmas Day 1 and I am really excited about it!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below your opinion on 'All About That Bass'!
 

Comments

  1. I completetly agree! I believe the song provides a very positive message overall, but as you said, there are multiple lines that are a bit questionable. Right after watching Louise's lookbook when it came out, I immediately added it to my favorites because she definitely used the song in the best way. lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xx I think overall it's positive too!

      Delete
  2. Love this post and I completely agree. Can't wait for blogmas, won't be able to do it myself but I'm excited to read your posts xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, seen lots of posts about this song too! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! I am a skinny person, and I hate it when people ask me why am I skinny. I can't help it. I'm this way because of genetics mostly. We should be promoting all body images, not just one! Some of the lines in this song are really good at doing that :)

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion