Book Review #9: P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

 
First of all, I can't believe that this is my 10th review! Thank you to everyone who is reading this and has read my reviews prior to this one, it really means the world to me and I would be really happy if you continued to read them and left me a comment about what to read next!
 
P.S. I Love You is about a couple, Holly and Gerry, and their life as a married couple. They clearly love each other, but have the occasional fight, which is normal of any couple. Then, very suddenly, Gerry dies of a brain tumour. Not only does Holly have to respectively mourn the loss of the love of her life, but she has to decide what she will do without him. However, Gerry has already seen to this. He left her letters, each with a different instruction inside and each ending with 'P.S. I Love You', trying to help her to live her life without him by her side.
 
The idea of this story completely makes my heart melt. The idea that the couple's love for each other carries on throughout Gerry's death is an idea that makes me feel happy/weepy. The way that the book is written gives Holly's life a simplistic view. She obviously loved Gerry, but she didn't have anything going on in her life apart from him, which was why I believe that his death hit her hard. She couldn't picture her life without him because she had no life without him, and he knew it. The fact that he loved her enough to make sure that she was able to live her life without him was amazing.
 
What was good?
Cecelia Ahern is an amazing writer. Her books have the power to grip you, and keep you gripped for weeks on end. Gripped enough to go out and buy the movie right away anyway. As well as this, Gerry and Holly's relationship is amazing because it shows all of the readers that, in a way, the right and wrongs of a relationship are subjective. Whether you argue every second or you've never had an argument a day in your life, as long as you're in a trusting, loving relationship, you're doing the right thing.
 
What was bad?
The book seemed as if it had many unnecessary characters, and at times, it was hard to keep up with who is actually important to the story and who was a page filler that had no relevance.
 
Overall
I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. No amount of unnecessary characters can destroy the significance of Gerry and Holly's relationship, and the fact that the letters are written with such care and precision that you wish that these letters were for you too.
 
Thank you for reading.
 
Comment below: Have you read this book? If so, how did you feel about it?

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'