Book Review #8: Tempting Fate by Jane Green



I am a huge fan of Jane Green. There's a difference between being a fan of a book itself and being a fan of an author, and there are only a few authors that I can honestly say I am a fan of. I don't know what it is about Jane Green that makes me such a huge fan of hers, but I think it has a lot to do with the way that she writes.

As someone who is between the stages of teenager and adult, her books appeal to me because, although I've only read two of them so far (this and 'The Patchwork Marriage') they are about adults, going through adult situations, but I can still read them and I am able to emphasise with the characters, which means that while reading them, I don't feel like I am reading an 'adult' book.

'Tempting Fate' is about a married couple, Gabby and Elliott, and their two daughters who are basically teenagers. Gabby wants to have another child before she loses her youth, but Elliott is happy with what they have. Then Gabby makes a mistake. A mistake that she can't hide, and that destroys the family as they know it.

My favourite thing about this book is that, from the outside looking in (e.g hearing about the situation) you can't help but look upon the character with distaste, knowing that you'll never destroy what you have as she may have done. However, when reading the book, you see the world through Gabby's eyes, and you feel as if her mistakes are your mistakes. You end up falling just as far as she does, and personally, it made me look at problems within the adult world in a new way, and sympathising with people who get themselves caught up in certain situations.

What was good?
It was hard not to sympathise with the different characters in the book, all for different reasons. You feel like you are in the situation, and at the same time, you start appreciating the fact that you don't have to go through the situation that Gabby and Elliott are.

What was bad?
When you hear about the book, or even read the synopsis, you immediately begin the hate some of the characters, and immediately begin comparing yourself to Gabby, the protagonist, and trying to somehow prove to yourself that you are a better person than her, purely from hearing or reading about the book without reading the book itself. This may make people not want to read the book, because they can't understand why Gabby got herself into the situation that she is in.

Overall
I 100% loved this book, and I would advise anyone to read it. Although, as I said, it is an 'adult' book that deals with grown-up issues, so if you have only read teenage books before, prepare yourself for the fact that there is no fantasy or mystery within the book, it is very realistic in that sense.

Thank you for reading.
Comment below: Have you read this book, or anything else by Jane Green? What did you think of it?

Comments

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'