Book Review #34: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

 
This is my first book review of February! I finished this yesterday and couldn't wait to review it!
 
Also, how cool is the author's name? Rainbow Rowell. I have no idea whether or not this is her real name, but I love it so much!
 
This book is about a girl called Cath (Cather) and her twin sister Wren. This is their first year at university and Wren has decided that she wants to be more independent, not relying on her sister so much. However, this is Cath's worst nightmare. What would she do without her sister constantly by her side? As Cath gets to university, meets her roommate Reagan and meets Reagan's friend Levi, she begins to panic. Is fiction-writing really for her? Or should she just stay at home and write fanfiction, which is all she's ever done. Cath has to decide whether to open her heart and her mind to new experiences, or to stay buried in the fanfiction that she knows and loves.
 
I don't think that my synopsis did the book justice, because there are so many things that I don't want to give away!
 
I loved this book. I really mean that, loved! This is a serious contender for one of the best books I've read this year, and it's only February!
 
This book was really relatable for me personally. First of all, I'm going to university this year, and am absolutely terrified! I am also studying the same thing that Cath did, Creative Writing (I'm doing it with English). As well as this, I have never had an experience with boys or relationships. And, the biggest coincidence, I write fanfiction and am a total fangirl! Cath is me! I mean, I know that her fanfiction is a lot more popular than mine, but the principle is the same!
 
My favourite character is Levi, mainly because of the fact that his smile just completely lights up everyone around him. In my head, I can completely imagine what he looks like and I really love his optimism! I also love his friendship with both Reagan and Cath, the fact that they are opposites and he still manages to love them equally is something that makes me really happy!
 
What was good?
The characters are amazing. Forget Cath, but even Reagan and Wren, they're just really good characters. And even smaller characters such as Nick and Courtney are still such complex and dynamic characters. Albeit, they're not very nice people (Nick more than Courtney), but I still want to find out more about them, I'm really curious!
 
What was bad?
I can't give anything away, but towards the end, some of the things that Cath and Levi were saying were, I felt, a bit unrealistic. I can't quote anything because you'll know what happens, but yes, that's the only criticism that I have.
 
Overall
READ THIS BOOK! I loved this book so much and I really think that you should read it, especially if you're a fangirl/boy! It is an amazing book, and I can't wait for the spin-off that comes out in October!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below whether or not you're a fangirl.
 
Keep Smiling - Lou xx 
 
 

Comments

  1. i was planning to read this book once i'm finished with the one i'm reading now and i love how instead of spoiling it you made me even more excited to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'd really recommend it xx

      Delete
  2. I was going to get this book but I wasn't sure how good it would be, definitely going to pick up a copy soon. Great review x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion