A Person In My Own Right


I'm quiet... introverted. I've always been like this, but my quietness has definitely come out more since I found out how much teenagers get judged just for being who they are, by other people who are also scared to be judged.

Anyway, I had a 'parent's evening' at my school a week or so ago (a parents evening is basically when your parents go into your school/college and speak to your teachers about your progress and targets for the year etc. in case you didn't know) and at my parents evening, one of my teachers used this phrase. They said that I'm 'A person in my own right', and these words have been playing on my mind ever since.

To put this in context, they said this meaning: You don't have to be quiet in class, your opinions are worth the same as everyone else's, but I took this to mean more.

We are all people in our own right. No one is better at being us than we are.

In life, without a doubt, there will always be someone thinner, prettier, more confident, more funny, more vocal. Someone more popular, or smarter. Someone who makes you feel completely shit about yourself. That's a given.

But that doesn't matter. Because, look at it the opposite way. We are thinner than someone, prettier, more confident, more funny, more vocal. We are more popular or smarter than someone. We can unintentionally make someone else feel completely shit about themselves. Just because they don't tell us this, doesn't mean it isn't true.

In today's society, a lot of people (girls in particular) end up hating themselves or getting extremely jealous because their not as good at something as someone else. I am one of these people whole-heartedly and it's really annoying. I don't want to be jealous of someone thinner or smarter than me, but I am.

But, when the phrase 'a person in my own right' came to me from that teacher, it just made me think, and it's still making me thing.

Who cares if someone is thinner than you? You're probably prettier than them or funnier than them. Who cares if someone is smarter than you? They might be wishing that they were as liked as you.
Who cares if you're not the same as everybody else? You're amazing just by being yourself. And I truly mean that.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below something about you that you're proud of!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. This was such a lovely post. We spend to much time comparing ourselves to other people but we are all our own person and I like to remind myself of the Dr.Seuss quote "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" it doesn't matter how many times we compare ourselves to others, we're not them we are us and we should just aim to be the best version of ourselves. Lovely post x
    https://professionaldaydreamerx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion